3” face mill suggestions

GT-6 Racer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I’m looking for a decent facemill. cat 40 5 hp spindle of a Trak bed mill.

I’d prefer some with high positive inserts to keep cutting forces down. Not running flood coolant, brushed oil or mist. Steel and aluminum mostly. I like the looks of the Tungeight but it’s 600$ + inserts and a cat 40 holder. Can’t justify that expenditure without a dedicated paying job….

I have a couple of old negative rake mills that just don’t do a very nice job at all. Frankly I’m better off the a 3/4” indexable end milll.

Any thoughts ?

David Best has the several of the Haas face mills if I recall the HOP Octagon and the HRNP rectangular negative/positive inserts, I have the HS6NPTrigon in 2.5". I use mine with the HMP20 inserts for mild steel, stainless and aluminum and get very smooth finishes, also some significant shouldering and have no problems with my 3Hp mill. If just light surfacing then the Octagon gives more cutting edges, I already had 2" and 4" Iscar octagon face mills, the larger for aluminum, the smaller for ferrous metals, as well as some from Sandvik. The Haas HS6NP performs very well in a wide range of materials with the inserts noted, but I have not used it for harder ferrous metals. Most of the inserts can be both rotated and also flipped, so the Trigon has 6 cutting edges, they are a positive rake at the cutting edge. I find the HS6NP to be very versatile, If I am just doing surfacing then I well switch to an octagon or a 45 degree square insert type. These run just over $400 with a CAT40 holder and 30 inserts.

HS6NP – Haas Sq Shoulder 6 Negative Positive with HMP20 inserts

HRNP – Haas Rectangle Negative Positive with HMP20 inserts

I added taller steel jaws to the front and back of my vise and then surfaced it with the Haas HS6NP, also deep wide shouldering in 7075 aluminum with very nice finish.
Vise.jpg

So I’m looking for a decent facemill. cat 40 5 hp spindle of a Trak bed mill.

I’d prefer some with high positive inserts to keep cutting forces down. Not running flood coolant, brushed oil or mist. Steel and aluminum mostly. I like the looks of the Tungeight but it’s 600$ + inserts and a cat 40 holder. Can’t justify that expenditure without a dedicated paying job….

I have a couple of old negative rake mills that just don’t do a very nice job at all. Frankly I’m better off the a 3/4” indexable end milll.

Any thoughts ?
See attached.

Attachments

• Face Mill Recommendations.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
David, what advantage do you see with the Hop version? Over the HRNP

David, what advantage do you see with the Hop version? Over the HRNP
The HRNP cuts to a square shoulder, and max DOC is much greater. It's really more like a huge aggressive end mill. I use it mostly on steel and stainless. I can't drive it to it's maximum potential given my PM-935 baby knee mill. In contrast, the HOP leaves a nicer surface finish (on any material), max DOC is considerably less, and of course it leaves a 45° corner if you aren't doing a full surface treatment. I use it mostly for aluminum work because of the high positive rake, but the surface finish on 304 is also exceptional. Between the two, the HOP takes about 1/2 the HP for the same DOC/WOC. If I recall, you have a Haas VMC 40-taper and should be able to drive the HRPN to full capacity with that - right? The HOP certainly has a more fragile cutting edge, but it also has 8 edges per insert. You'll see the difference in durability when plowing off 1018 mill scale. Let me know if you have more questions. I assume you've watched my videos on these face mills, right?

David Best has the several of the Haas face mills if I recall the HOP Octagon and the HRNP rectangular negative/positive inserts, I have the HS6NPTrigon in 2.5". I use mine with the HMP20 inserts for mild steel, stainless and aluminum and get very smooth finishes, also some significant shouldering and have no problems with my 3Hp mill. If just light surfacing then the Octagon gives more cutting edges, I already had 2" and 4" Iscar octagon face mills, the larger for aluminum, the smaller for ferrous metals, as well as some from Sandvik. The Haas HS6NP performs very well in a wide range of materials with the inserts noted, but I have not used it for harder ferrous metals. Most of the inserts can be both rotated and also flipped, so the Trigon has 6 cutting edges, they are a positive rake at the cutting edge. I find the HS6NP to be very versatile, If I am just doing surfacing then I well switch to an octagon or a 45 degree square insert type. These run just over $400 with a CAT40 holder and 30 inserts.

HS6NP – Haas Sq Shoulder 6 Negative Positive with HMP20 inserts

HRNP – Haas Rectangle Negative Positive with HMP20 inserts

I added taller steel jaws to the front and back of my vise and then surfaced it with the Haas HS6NP, also deep wide shouldering in 7075 aluminum with very nice finish.
View attachment 439669
Now thats a vice stop!

Thanks David, I did watch the videos. I really am looking to slab off surfaces and get a usable surface without further finishing. I have a couple 3/4” indexable end mills and am fine with not being able to go to a shoulder. Happen to have tried the haas mini indexable end mills ? Those look interesting too.

Thanks David, I did watch the videos. I really am looking to slab off surfaces and get a usable surface without further finishing. I have a couple 3/4” indexable end mills and am fine with not being able to go to a shoulder. Happen to have tried the haas mini indexable end mills ? Those look interesting too.
I haven't tried the Haas indexable end mills. I do have a 1" Iscar indexable end mill that I quite like. It takes APKT style inserts.

IMG_0336.jpeg

Back