3 Jaw Chuck

papermaker

Active User
Registered
Went to the tool honey hole today. I found a 4" three jaw chuck made by Union Tool. It was mounted to a 1 1/2"x 8 TPI backing plate. I had to change backing plates to get it fit my lathe. My lathe came with a extra chuck that had a stripped hole in one jaw.
I had to cut a new register to the backing plate and bore 3 holes to mount it up. Fits great and has about .001" runout. Oh yeah had to make a key for it too! Very happy with my $24 purchase.

Went to the tool honey hole today. I found a 4" three jaw chuck made by Union Tool. It was mounted to a 1 1/2"x 8 TPI backing plate. I had to change backing plates to get it fit my lathe. My lathe came with a extra chuck that had a stripped hole in one jaw.
I had to cut a new register to the backing plate and bore 3 holes to mount it up. Fits great and has about .001" runout. Oh yeah had to make a key for it too! Very happy with my $24 purchase.

Cool! What no pics? Guess it never happened. LOL

Nice job on the chuck key.

Never, ever leave a chuck key in the chuck without your hand on it. A simple mistake/loss of train of thought can turn it into a projectile

Wow!! $24 for a chuck like that??? Wowee! Your lathe isn't 1-1/2 / 8 ? What is it?

Bernie

Ditto on the chuck key even taking a picture. I cringe every time I see one hanging in a chuck like that. During my time in the business I have seen maybe a dozen accidents by someone leaving the chuck key in. Luckily no one was hurt other than needing a change of pants, but there were a few bad chucks afterwards.

Back