3- Or 4-jaw Scroll Chuck?

intjonmiller

Registered
Registered
I searched but there are A LOT of threads that mention these terms without being about the same question.

My father's old Logan 850 lathe came to me with a good 4-jaw independent chuck and a reportedly junk 3-jaw scroll chuck. I haven't bothered to see if the 3-jaw is junk, because he said that in exchange for letting him come and use the lathe at my place he would buy a new one. I figure the old 3-jaw might be useful on the drill press and/or surface grinder for holding small parts or something. Or maybe decoration for my desk at work.

But now we're both stuck because we can't decide between a 3- or 4-jaw 6" scroll chuck from Shars. The price difference is less than $5 (including shipping). The clamping and jamming range is identical.

Square stock can't be handled as easily in a 3-jaw. Hex stock can't be handled as easily in a 4-jaw. (Though there are workarounds either way.) Round stock is easy either way.

What am I not considering to help me decide? I figure a 3-jaw is more likely to show up for cheap on the local classifieds at some point, so the 4-jaw might make the most sense now. But then again I have a 4-jaw already, it's just slower.

I know a 6-jaw is better suited for thin-wall material. Does it stand to reason that a 4-jaw is more appropriate than a 3-jaw for the same? Is there any meaningful difference in clamping force between the 3 and 4? Or just the shapes it conveniently holds?

Final question: How many more ways can I overthink this?? :(

Oh, I should mention that I'm planning on making or buying an ER32/40 chuck as well. This is not for ultimate precision. This is for convenience.

Also he gave me the money today, so I'm feeling anxious to order it RIGHT NOW so it arrives before next weekend. Priority given to a persuasive answer in the next 30 minutes. :)

why not check out the 3 jaw if it is good and you have a good 4 jaw then get one of 1000 other useful items you may need and use for your lathe and getting something you do not have.

Mostly because the guy paying for the new chuck says that the other one is junk so he wants a new one that he can use. :)

He was rather excited that we could get a 4-jaw scroll for the same price as a 3-jaw, and said we should get that one if I couldn't think of a reason not to.

I hear you can actually use hex material in a 4-jaw, however I have never tried it. Dan Gelbart shows it in one of his videos.

Get the 4, more gripping area!

I would get the 3-jaw. You've already got a 4-jaw that works fine, and it's not likely the new 4-jaw will work significantly better than the one you've got...

Actually,though I always use my Bison 8" 4 jaw universal chuck,the more jaws a chuck has,the LESS force there is to each jaw. The amount of force an operator can twist the chuck key with is divided up more with more jaws.

However,I have not had a problem with my Bison holding stock perfectly well. As to which should you get- are you turning more hex stock or square? I happen to use more square.

Back