3 phase for a tool with 2 motors

Two things to keep in mind about RPCs. They consume power on their own, whether the machine they are powering is running or not. SPCs and VFDs do not. They also whine, some louder than others. I know of a couple of shops that housed their RPCs in an enclosure outside the shop for this reason.

Two things to keep in mind about RPCs. They consume power on their own, whether the machine they are powering is running or not. SPCs and VFDs do not. They also whine, some louder than others. I know of a couple of shops that housed their RPCs in an enclosure outside the shop for this reason.
+1

I have a 5hp RPC for my mill, and it's loud. I've actually considered selling it to my buddy and getting a high quality, silent VFD. I hate having it on when the spindle isn't running.

Unless you want to get into rewiring the mill the easiest/cheapest solution is a static phase converter.

I’ve bought several from

And been happy with the service and performance.

Yes, he will loose some power but it’s unlikely he’ll notice the difference in a hobby shop. If he wants to go with a rotary converter later all it takes is a used 3 phase motor to convert the static box.

John

I currently have a 3hp static phase converter. It has been hooked up to my mill for years. I recently bought a lathe that is 3 phase. I wall thinking of buying a rotary phase converter. If I could update use my static and just pick up a 3 hp motor. Then make my own. That would be awesome. As I have to unplug and plug in when changing machines.

So my question is do you have a schematic or a link on how to achieve this? That would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am an electrical novice. Hopefully it is straight forward.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I currently have a 3hp static phase converter. It has been hooked up to my mill for years. I recently bought a lathe that is 3 phase. I wall thinking of buying a rotary phase converter. If I could update use my static and just pick up a 3 hp motor. Then make my own. That would be awesome. As I have to unplug and plug in when changing machines.

So my question is do you have a schematic or a link on how to achieve this? That would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am an electrical novice. Hopefully it is straight forward.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Sorry, I don’t have a schematic. Have you checked with the maker of your static converter.

Might be as simple as hooking the extra motor inline.

John

Sorry, I don’t have a schematic. Have you checked with the maker of your static converter.

Might be as simple as hooking the extra motor inline.

John

I actually just found a YouTube video showing how to do it. I will do some more digging. I will for sure check with the manufacturer.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I have a 5hp RPC for my mill, and it's loud. I've actually considered selling it to my buddy and getting a high quality, silent VFD. I hate having it on when the spindle isn't running.
My RPC is loud but I solved that by setting the 7.5 hp idler on a base outside my shop.
Quiet as a mouse.
In fact, I have to remember to shut it off when I'm done using it.
The primary advantages of an RPC is you can run any number of machines from that one unit and they are cheap - and easy to build.

I hear tell there is a kit available that is not too expensive to make a motor into a rotary converter. Anyone here know the link?

Considered a VFD for the spindle and a stepper motor for the power feed? A setup can be super simple - we're not talking electronic leadscrew here, though it is, of course an option. Control boxes with forward/reverse and a simple knob for speed are readily available. Some also have extra features like cutout from a signal from a switch, acceleration control and can be whisper quiet with the right driver chip inside. Sometimes the old ways are not the best way.

Back