3 phase motor question

adamnlazybum

Registered
Registered
So I bought a dayton 3/4 hp for my south bend 9a. I might have read incorrectly but is it possible to wire a 220/440 3 phase motor on a vfd to use on 115v outlet. or do i need to use to it on 220, because i recall reading some post a while back that i could use this voltage on a vfd down to 115v.

Any links to how to wire it properly? Thanks.

You can buy 120v input/240v output VFDs. I used on on my surface grinder. No issues.

I bought a very inexpensive 1.5kw 120v single phase input, 220/3phase out for about $100.
I ran my Boyar-Shultz surface grinder on it until i got the 3 phase pulled network to all my machine stations

I bought a very inexpensive 1.5kw 120v single phase input, 220/3phase out for about $100.
I ran my Boyar-Shultz surface grinder on it until i got the 3 phase pulled network to all my machine stations
Which make and model VFD Doc?

Just be aware that the current at the wall needs to be twice as much at 115 vs. 230 VAC input. So for the most part you are limited to ~ 1Hp on a 15A circuit and 1.5Hp on a 20A circuit. Breaker wiring is not designed to be run at more than 80% of the breaker size, and there are other wiring/breaker requirements for VFD's. In this application, a 1 Hp VFD with a voltage doubler which outputs 3 phase at 230VAC are available through multiple VFD manufacturers.

Back