3 phase motor question

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
OK, guys when it comes to electric motors, I know very little so if you could answer in terms a 6 year old could understand it would go a long way in helping me.

I just got a baldor 5 hp 1740 rpm elctric motor. On the side panel it has a low and high wiring diagram and then below that it says 208-230/460.

I need a 1.5 hp 1740rpm motor for a project I have. Could I wire or use this motor so that I could use it on 220v current?

OK, guys when it comes to electric motors, I know very little so if you could answer in terms a 6 year old could understand it would go a long way in helping me.

I just got a baldor 5 hp 1740 rpm elctric motor. On the side panel it has a low and high wiring diagram and then below that it says 208-230/460.

I need a 1.5 hp 1740rpm motor for a project I have. Could I wire or use this motor so that I could use it on 220v current?

Yes. Just wire it for 208 and go... That's presuming you have three-phase electric in your shop. If it's a home shop, I'd say you don't: most residential wiring is single phase. If you have single phase only, you'd need a phase converter or a VFD to run it.

Another approach would be to not use the 3-phase motor you have, and use a 220V single phase motor with capacitor start.

John

If your power is 220V and the motor is 208 to 230V then that’s OK. If you need 1.5 HP and the motor is 5 HP that’s more than 3X what you need. If the extra weight, larger size of the motor and bigger shaft diameter is not a problem then it’s still OK. If you only have 1 phase for source power, then it becomes a slight problem in a much greater cost in procuring an invertor for that size motor instead of one for a 1.5 HP 3 phase motor…Good Luck

Edit: Oh, and if you can afford the extra cost in electricity to run that 5HP motor, then OK again. Note: Motors are one of the biggest consumers of electricity in the house/HM garage!

Last edited:

I need a 1.5 hp 1740rpm motor for a project I have. Could I wire or use this motor so that I could use it on 220v current?[/QUOTE]

yes you can, i'd wire it up for 208/230 v.
the 5hp may be a little overkill but that never stopped me before

here's a cheap way to make a 3 phase motor start and operate on single phase input(click link below)

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=12712

if you require help to get it going send me a message, i'd be glad to help out:))

Back