3-Phase motor upgrade

Good decision on the lathe.
I stayed with the 2hp that my mill came with. This seems more than adequate for the size of the machine.

Looking more closely at the specs on the existing motor it's a 56HZ The normal 56H motor would have a 5/8" diameter shaft, the Z however denotes a special diameter shaft. Thought I should check that before ordering a motor. It's special all right. The bore of the motor pully is 22mm Just a shade under 7/8" I've found 56HZ with 7/8", a 145T frame will also fit and is standard with a 7/8" shaft. Which leaves me with a motor pully having a 0.861 ID and a motor with a 0.875".

I was in the same boat with the pulley. I went to a Tractor Supply and picked up a 3 1/2” pulley, which is the middle of the three step OEM pulley. I considered boring the three step pulley but then I would need to address the key way also, not having a broach, I settled for a new $8 pulley. With the VFD there is variable speed so it was a no brainer.

That's a really good idea. My other option was to bore out the 3 step pully and just shave a little off the key to get it to fit.

Yea, shaving the key would work also but I might be critical if I purchased a machine and found a shaved keyway. Just me

I was in the same boat with the pulley. I went to a Tractor Supply and picked up a 3 1/2” pulley, which is the middle of the three step OEM pulley. I considered boring the three step pulley but then I would need to address the key way also, not having a broach, I settled for a new $8 pulley. With the VFD there is variable speed so it was a no brainer.

Thanks for this idea as I was considering what to do when I make the inevitable discovery that my pulley bore is some completely unique diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Z2V
I understand shaving the key isn't the ideal solution but lacking a broach or access to one, it's about 0.018 off of the key to get it to fit.

My friend had the same issue, he just put the pulley in a vise, then carefully hand filed the key way slot a bit deeper

Again a good idea and one I had in mind. It's an aluminum pulley so not that difficult

Back