3 phase or no 3 phase?

If you have 3 phase use it!

A mechanical comparison would be; Three phase is like having a 3 cylinder engine instead of a single cylinder engine.
It runs smoother, less hum etc. The electrical energy is more efficiently used, less loss due to heat also.

I believe you will need to wire the equipment to code and have it inspected prior to the power co. turning 3 phase on.

VFD drives can be added if its necessary for the operation of the equipment. again 3 phase is more efficient.

I had access to 3 phase so I hooked it up. Was a little expensive to wire up but equipment does sell cheap for 3 ph. I once bought a wire welder for 75.00 because no-one else was interested. It works flawlessly. My overhead crane is even 3ph. One thing to remember is even with the meter pulled 3ph is still hot. Makes for interesting wiring when adding a generator. tommie

Shade,
I have no experience with 3phase direct as I use a Rotary. Thank you pointing this out, as it was off my radar.
Just like all of my machines, my rotary and 3 phase commercial panel were used.
My cost on the panel with all of the breakers was $130. Everything works well. But, like anything used it comes with risks, fortunately I had the benefit of an apprentice electrician friend.

Choose carefully.
I am using an RPC also but I know a number of farmers with 3 phase and several months a year howl over the service charges and not power usage, Illinois sucks... It all depends on your Electric Company. Years ago ComEd would drop a RPC on a farm for nothing. Not today. I only have single phase here but I am zoned A-1 so I can have multiple meters, I have one 400 amp service to the house and another 400 amp service to the shop and barn. Both on the same bill, and only an extra monthly service charge for the second meter of $1.90. Was very nice having the second meter when I had my business, just charged the business that part of the bill based on kWh used on the second meter. I would go with VFD's today, I was looking for one the other day that took single phase input and 3 phase out, for a 5 Hp motor could not find one anybody know of one?

Again, go with the three-phase. I don't think it has been mentioned, but a VFD 5HP and above require 3 phase input power. There are a few 5HP unit that take single phase, but generally you have to derate the output.

Right on! When I was lathe shopping a couple years ago, there were many beautiful machines I wanted but had to pass-up because they were in the 5-10 HP range. Man, some of those machines were beautiful...

Ray

Again, go with the three-phase. I don't think it has been mentioned, but a VFD 5HP and above require 3 phase input power. There are a few 5HP unit that take single phase, but generally you have to derate the output.

In general, motors 5hp is about where the single phase equipment stops anyway. I don't believe the inefficiency of single phase is practical over 10hp, so no one builds large single phase motors.

Back