316 SS project

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A fisherman I know came to me to help him make hardware to mount the outboards on his boat. He was fishing recently on a rough day, and an engine fell off of the transom, it was banging up his hull pretty bad, so he cut the cables, and let it sink. In my opinion he was negligent in his maintenance of electrical grounds, and sacrificial Zinc anodes, you'll see in the pictures. I purchased 3/16" x 3" x 5' 316 SS, cut the 8 pieces needed, drilled 8 holes and made 8 3/16 washers. He want's to pay me, and I know material costs, but I do not know what to charge him for the work. Any suggestions are appreciated. The pictures are of making the washers, I put a penny over the center hole to start the through arbor coolant flow for the annular cutter, I cut the holes just before break through, and finished them on the vise, and belt sander. His old stuff is there too.

'Negligent' applies here, methinks...

I am always amazed at how corrosive our world is, and yet-
Where are ya gonna be without salt OR water?

As a plumber I can agree with you on corrosiveness. Amazing it's power.

For one off jobs charge time and materials. Charge a real rate so others running businesses won’t be competing with a “hobby” business that doesn’t need to make any money.

If you want to give a friends discount go right ahead but quality work deserves fair compensation.

You do want to buy more tools, right:grin:

He want's to pay me, and I know material costs, but I do not know what to charge him for the work. Any suggestions are appreciated.

That's something I struggle with often.
I often do work for "beer money".

I am NOT a job shop, I have a hobby shop.....and my day job pays the bills (electrical engineer working in telecommunications).

The shop work is done on MY schedule (if you need it tomorrow find someone else!), I evaluate jobs at the start to determine if I'm even interested.
I don't shy away from buying new tools for a job, each new tool improves my knowledge and my shops capabilities.
In fact, the most interesting jobs are ones that I've never done before and where I gotta think about the solution or design something.

For one off jobs charge time and materials. Charge a real rate so others running businesses won’t be competing with a “hobby” business that doesn’t need to make any money.

John, that statement appears to say "don't charge too much".

If you want to give a friends discount go right ahead but quality work deserves fair compensation.

You do want to buy more tools, right

That statement appears to say" don't charge too little".

Okay "fair compensation" let's try to break it down......the arguments:

Why I should charge more:
I have ~400 sq feet of space dedicated to shop space in the garage.
No one can park inside so everyone clears snow and scrapes windows in the winter.
I have purchased a lathe, mill, power hacksaw, band saw, table saw, drill press, a few welders; thousands of dollars of equipment.
All the resource of my shop contribute to my paid projects. (milling, lathe, welding, 3D-printing, electronics, etc.)
Much of the cost of running those machines is invisible to others (power and maintenance: bearings, belts, blades, cutters, etc.)
Also, learning the skills to use that equipment properly takes a long time.

Why I should charge less:
I would dedicated that amount of shop space and all the tools just for me to use anyway; it is a hobby that I enjoy.
I would want the same tools, and skills for my own projects even if the rest of the outside world didn't exist.
I enjoy ever minute in my shop, I listen to the music I like, I start and stop when I want, I don't have to push myself hard.
Therefore it's hard to justify try to collect anything near a "living wage" from it.

Many of my friends from work (some engineers, PhDs, masters) know the value of having me and my shop available for projects and pay well.
Those jobs help me buy new equipment.

Some friends and ex-neighbours (some great people that enjoy knowing) get help for free (........okay full disclosure......I got cookies and a beer for helping install a ceiling fan today).

On a recent kayak rack build for someone at work, I spelled out the costs materials + labour.
That job included only less than $30 worth of material I already had on site (1" and 2" square steel tubing; needed wire brushing), and near 12 hours total effort. This included cutting 45 degree miters(shop saw), plasma cutting, drilling and welding.
I suggested $150 all-in for the job(~$10 per hour). He insisted on $200 ($14 per hour).
We were both happy.

However going into that job, I thought it would take less time.....about half, and maybe it would have if I didn't dawdle.
If I had had to quote it ahead of time I would have been wrong and (if I cared about hourly rate then) racing thru the build and NOT having any fun....it would then be work! I'd have to charge way more once I consider it work.

-brino

Thanks Brino, I am a hobbyist, that gets requests, I do not wish to go into business, and I do not want any insurance hassles. As you pointed out, it takes longer than you think to get these little projects done. Prep, layout, execution, chamfering, cleaning up edges, and then just general cleanup afterwards. I do know that if I told him to go to one of the very few shops that are here it may be weeks until he is able to get it done, so I am happy to help.

Whtchu talkn' bout Terry :cautious: :grin:

Last edited:
That's something I struggle with often.
I often do work for "beer money".

I am NOT a job shop, I have a hobby shop.....and my day job pays the bills (electrical engineer working in telecommunications).

The shop work is done on MY schedule (if you need it tomorrow find someone else!), I evaluate jobs at the start to determine if I'm even interested.
I don't shy away from buying new tools for a job, each new tool improves my knowledge and my shops capabilities.
In fact, the most interesting jobs are ones that I've never done before and where I gotta think about the solution or design something.

John, that statement appears to say "don't charge too much".

That statement appears to say" don't charge too little".

Okay "fair compensation" let's try to break it down......the arguments:

Why I should charge more:
I have ~400 sq feet of space dedicated to shop space in the garage.
No one can park inside so everyone clears snow and scrapes windows in the winter.
I have purchased a lathe, mill, power hacksaw, band saw, table saw, drill press, a few welders; thousands of dollars of equipment.
All the resource of my shop contribute to my paid projects. (milling, lathe, welding, 3D-printing, electronics, etc.)
Much of the cost of running those machines is invisible to others (power and maintenance: bearings, belts, blades, cutters, etc.)
Also, learning the skills to use that equipment properly takes a long time.

Why I should charge less:
I would dedicated that amount of shop space and all the tools just for me to use anyway; it is a hobby that I enjoy.
I would want the same tools, and skills for my own projects even if the rest of the outside world didn't exist.
I enjoy ever minute in my shop, I listen to the music I like, I start and stop when I want, I don't have to push myself hard.
Therefore it's hard to justify try to collect anything near a "living wage" from it.

Many of my friends from work (some engineers, PhDs, masters) know the value of having me and my shop available for projects and pay well.
Those jobs help me buy new equipment.

Some friends and ex-neighbours (some great people that enjoy knowing) get help for free (........okay full disclosure......I got cookies and a beer for helping install a ceiling fan today).

On a recent kayak rack build for someone at work, I spelled out the costs materials + labour.
That job included only less than $30 worth of material I already had on site (1" and 2" square steel tubing; needed wire brushing), and near 12 hours total effort. This included cutting 45 degree miters(shop saw), plasma cutting, drilling and welding.
I suggested $150 all-in for the job(~$10 per hour). He insisted on $200 ($14 per hour).
We were both happy.

However going into that job, I thought it would take less time.....about half, and maybe it would have if I didn't dawdle.
If I had had to quote it ahead of time I would have been wrong and (if I cared about hourly rate then) racing thru the build and NOT having any fun....it would then be work! I'd have to charge way more once I consider it work.

-brino
Yep, time and materials....

I used to run a repair shop where I had to give estimates and stick with them. Most jobs made money but some definitely did not, that was just part of doing business.

Obviously none of us are likely to displace serious fabrication or manufacturing businesses so taking a "job" is often just as much for our learning as actually giving the "customer" the end result. I can't charge for learning how to do something so coming up with a fair hourly rate is definitely a challenge in those cases. Also rates vary greatly depending on region and local competition.

My comment about not undercutting professional shops was really just a reminder that there are folks out there who depend on doing the kinds of jobs we do for fun to put food on the table. However, most of these businesses are so busy lately that if they found out you could do it they'd probably try to sub some of their work out to you....

John

Back