360 compared to AutoCAD, command aliases

imagineer

Registered
Registered
Question for those versed in both Fusion360 and (old fashioned) AutoCAD. Can you create your own custom command aliases in Fusion360?

I'm an old school AutoCAD user. My drawing interface has no buttons to click. Every command is done on the command line and is a 1-3 keystroke alias. Not tooting my own horn, but I'm probably the fastest 2D CAD guy you'll ever meet.

After over 20 years using AutoCAD, I'm fairly set in my ways and would like to continue as I transition to using Fusion360.

also a long time AutoCad user that recently moved to Fusion 360.
1. You can define keyboard shortcuts to commands. This is not the same as a keyboard command alias but sort of similar. For instance you could define in Sketch Mode that "ALT-L" is the same as clicking the Line button.
2. There is a Text Command window that I have not really explored. It looks very capable but still not quite the same as being able to type "L <enter>" as we might have done in AutoCad 2012. There might be a way to create scrips in Python or Java that would do what you want but that is beyond me.
3. For me I have had to spend far more time learning there new approach to parametric designing than to get overly concerned with how to be the most efficient on the keyboard. By that I mean that figuring out when I want to create a sketch, component, body etc is taking far more time than clicking on an icon vs a keyboard alias. I am getting quicker with the "How to use" aspects so I may get more interested in interface efficiency down the line.
I have found a LOT of youtube How-To videos on Fusion 360 that have been well done and very helpful

Good luck and share what you figure out.

Question for those versed in both Fusion360 and (old fashioned) AutoCAD. Can you create your own custom command aliases in Fusion360?

I'm an old school AutoCAD user. My drawing interface has no buttons to click. Every command is done on the command line and is a 1-3 keystroke alias. Not tooting my own horn, but I'm probably the fastest 2D CAD guy you'll ever meet.

After over 20 years using AutoCAD, I'm fairly set in my ways and would like to continue as I transition to using Fusion360.
You might consider BricsCAD Mechanical, Its like AutoCAD and Inventor rolled into one and if you are an AutoCAD user the commands are the same and if you have Aliases you like to use, Lisp and or Diesel programing they transfer over seamlessly. The out put file is DWG and AutoCAD will open it without any issue. You can buy a perpetual license for PRO at 1200.00 and Mechanical at 2100 which includes the first year's maintenance, past that if your not interested in continuing the maintenance after the first year you own the license, it isn't a lease so you can continue to use it. This package is every bit as powerful as AutoCAD at a fraction of the cost...

FYI, I started drafting in early 80's using the PAD system (Pencil Aided Drafting) and working AutoCAD since "92", and I am still drafting for dollars now.

Hope all of that helped...

Back