3D Drafting Software for Mac?

SU seems like a cool tool, but I played with it a little and couldn't get it to click with my thinking. I'm ACAD since V12, and some ProE and SW, but I'd like to learn the tricks to SU. Maybe a tutorial leaning towards machine work would be worthwhile.

Thanks Staandbyguard-

I like SketchUp a few years ago, but wasn't using it for this type of thing.
I am sure it is great, but I am just finding it Beverly hard to find the instructions and options for the tools etc, and basic instructions.

I am really trying to do pretty basic things with cylindrical shapes, boring them out, etc.
if I knew how in SketchUp it would probably do what I needed.

Bernie

I have been learning Sketchup for the last year or so where I work - I watched their basic tutorials to get started and have found it very easy, once you watch the tutorials! I have used AutoCAD versions 10, 11, 12 , 13, and 2005, as well as a couple versions of LT - Sketchup is nothing like Autocad. Take a few minutes and if you can, open up Sketchup and watch the tutorial at the same time. Here is one set of tutorials to get you started. A few basic functions will go a long way. Draw the basic shapes and use the push / pull tool - just remember to make groups of anything you want to keep separate. Dan

SU seems like a cool tool, but I played with it a little and couldn't get it to click with my thinking. I'm ACAD since V12, and some ProE and SW, but I'd like to learn the tricks to SU. Maybe a tutorial leaning towards machine work would be worthwhile.

I could use exactly that. I just couldn't think like it either.

Bernie

I have been learning Sketchup for the last year or so where I work - I watched their basic tutorials to get started and have found it very easy, once you watch the tutorials! I have used AutoCAD versions 10, 11, 12 , 13, and 2005, as well as a couple versions of LT - Sketchup is nothing like Autocad. Take a few minutes and if you can, open up Sketchup and watch the tutorial at the same time. Here is one set of tutorials to get you started. A few basic functions will go a long way. Draw the basic shapes and use the push / pull tool - just remember to make groups of anything you want to keep separate. Dan

Hey Dan-

I will try. I was fine artfully making shapes etc, but making parts to specific dimensions was not easy for me. I will give it more of a try :)

Bernie

Hi, are you mainly concerned with 2d drafting or 3d modeling?

My background is primarily in 3d modeling (pro/e and solidworks both rather extensively), but I did spend a fair bit of time doing 2d wiring diagrams etc in autocad. Also, like you, I am a mac/linux user.

For a 2d experience like autocad draftsight really can't be touched as far as I am concerned.

For 3d, it gets a bit more complicated. I find the sketchup workflow to not work quite how I would like it to and thus I have been exploring other options. The main problem is that there aren't any for macs. I do what Ray suggested and run parallels with a bunch of different VMs for different things. Right now I am testing out Cubify design ( formerly Alibre personal edition ). So far I like it. It feels like an old version of solidworks and for simple things works fine. It has the added perk of being only $200.

I'll be curious what route you end up going.

Brian

Hey Dan-

I will try. I was fine artfully making shapes etc, but making parts to specific dimensions was not easy for me. I will give it more of a try :)

Bernie

Hey Bernie - let me give you a couple real quick tips - for one, you seldom draw lines, mainly shapes. To get a square of exact size, for example, grab the box (rectangle) from the toolbar. Click at the 0,0,0 point. That is the first corner. Start moving the cursor away from the point and you will see a rectangle beginning to form. Now, just type 36,36 and see what happens. You will end up with a square 36 units by 36 units. To make a cube, grab the push/pull tool and pull up, and then type 36 (don't click or anything when you do this, just stop moving the cursor and type in the 36). It will become a cube 36 x 36 x 36. The next thing to master is the tape measure. It is invaluable for drawing exact dimensions. Circles work exactly the same, to make a cylinder. It is nothing like AutoCAD...

This this the route I was going to suggest for Bernie...

The Cubify is like a baby-sibling of SolidWorks (meant in a good way) and I suspect it would work fine in a VMware (Fusion) environment under a MAC.

Ray

Hi, are you mainly concerned with 2d drafting or 3d modeling?

My background is primarily in 3d modeling (pro/e and solidworks both rather extensively), but I did spend a fair bit of time doing 2d wiring diagrams etc in autocad. Also, like you, I am a mac/linux user.

For a 2d experience like autocad draftsight really can't be touched as far as I am concerned.

For 3d, it gets a bit more complicated. I find the sketchup workflow to not work quite how I would like it to and thus I have been exploring other options. The main problem is that there aren't any for macs. I do what Ray suggested and run parallels with a bunch of different VMs for different things. Right now I am testing out Cubify design ( formerly Alibre personal edition ). So far I like it. It feels like an old version of solidworks and for simple things works fine. It has the added perk of being only $200.

I'll be curious what route you end up going.

Brian

Are you using free SketchUP? I tried it awhile ago a gave up on it.

Yes I am using the FREE version of SketchUp (Now called SketchUp Make) and always have. I also developed some plugins to speed up and automate some woodworking related constructs which is why I like SU (since you can modify and build it to suit your needs more so than many other applications). you can get a glimpse here: sites.google.com/site/wudworx/ (not trying to get a plug, just adding some context to the abilities of SU to be expanded and extended beyond the standard - all with the free version.)

If there is any interest maybe I'll post some "SketchUp Tutorials for Machinist". anyone interested? anything specific you'd like it to cover?

with all that said - I still find that for machining CAD, ACAD, SolidWorks and the likes are a more standard application whereas SU is a bit different.

Yes I am using the FREE version of SketchUp (Now called SketchUp Make) and always have. I also developed some plugins to speed up and automate some woodworking related constructs which is why I like SU (since you can modify and build it to suit your needs more so than many other applications). you can get a glimpse here: sites.google.com/site/wudworx/ (not trying to get a plug, just adding some context to the abilities of SU to be expanded and extended beyond the standard - all with the free version.)

If there is any interest maybe I'll post some "SketchUp Tutorials for Machinist". anyone interested? anything specific you'd like it to cover?

with all that said - I still find that for machining CAD, ACAD, SolidWorks and the likes are a more standard application whereas SU is a bit different.

+1 here! I can show you the part that Dan MN and I are drawing it up... My drawings will only be things I can machine at home, so not necessarily so elaborate (yet hah).... Basically a number if cylindrical shapes, not necessarily with the same center line, and similar cylindrical shapes removed for bores. Then a slice removed, as for a slitting saw operation, and some drill/ tap holes.

Bernie

+1 here! I can show you the part that Dan MN and I are drawing it up... My drawings will only be things I can machine at home, so not necessarily so elaborate (yet hah).... Basically a number if cylindrical shapes, not necessarily with the same center line, and similar cylindrical shapes removed for bores. Then a slice removed, as for a slitting saw operation, and some drill/ tap holes.

Bernie

Here's what we've worked up so far.

Boss_ASSEMBLY_2.JPG

Boss_ASSEMBLY_2.JPG

Back