3D Printed Block & Tackle

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i had a small scale (20mm) 3d design and print project that i was working on that snowballed into another thing.
3d printed block and tackle
not for any type of practical use, other than suspending a bicycle, or maybe an outside movie screen.
if the designs were to have actual potential, i would copy them in steel or aluminum, maybe even delrin :dunno:

i used tinkercad to mock up the different designs and printed the results

the first design is a 4 piece double pulley design, printed @30% density in PLA
the cross pin is black PLA

IMG_4784.jpg
IMG_4783.jpg

the second design used 1/4 rod for the axles
the 3rd
design uses 1/4" bolts for the axles

IMG_4782.jpg
IMG_4781.jpg
IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

i have plans to do a torture test to see the limits of both designs, to see if they are worthy of further development.

i'll post results as i destroy them!

as always, thanks for reading!

If you increase your perimeters and infill those pulleys could probably handle quite a bit of load!
I made a 3D-printed pulley system that I've been using a few times per week for almost 3 years now and it's still holding up.

I added a time stamp so you can just see the part in action and the kind of load they're under.

Looking forward to seeing how your pulleys perform!

That is really cool. I bet they are pretty strong.
Cheers
Martin

i had a small scale (20mm) 3d design and print project that i was working on that snowballed into another thing.
not for any type of practical use, other than suspending a bicycle, or maybe an outside movie screen.
if the designs were to have actual potential, i would copy them in steel or aluminum, maybe even delrin :dunno:

View attachment 371949View attachment 371950

the 3rd

View attachment 371951View attachment 371952View attachment 371953

View attachment 371954

i have plans to do a torture test to see the limits of both designs, to see if they are worthy of further development.

Testing to destruction is the stuff. Thanks for sharing your momentary obsession:)

If you ever want to get really technical about printing strong parts, check out CNCKitchen on Youtube. He's a German engineer who does some interesting testing on what makes a strong print and what different filaments are capable of.

View attachment 371949View attachment 371950

the 3rd

View attachment 371951View attachment 371952View attachment 371953

View attachment 371954

YT video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pulleys are in compression and should hold hold up well.there is shearing stress from the axles on the side walls. The eyes are under tension and I'll bet they fail first.

Interesting stuff the 3D
this stuff is AMAZING!!!
the possibilities are infinite!!!!
If you increase your perimeters and infill those pulleys could probably handle quite a bit of load!
I made a 3D-printed pulley system that I've been using a few times per week for almost 3 years now and it's still holding up.

I added a time stamp so you can just see the part in action and the kind of load they're under.

Looking forward to seeing how your pulleys perform!
i'll be sure to check him out!
thank you for sharing the video, i have no doubt it will be very useful!
That is really cool. I bet they are pretty strong.
Cheers
Martin
than you Martin! we shall soon see!!! :eagerness:

Testing to destruction is the stuff. Thanks for sharing your momentary obsession:)
if only i could get paid to destroy things for money.... :grin:
If you ever want to get really technical about printing strong parts, check out CNCKitchen on Youtube. He's a German engineer who does some interesting testing on what makes a strong print and what different filaments are capable of.
thank you for the heads up, i'll check him out.
thanks for sharing the information!
YT video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
since you asked, i'll do a summary of the results! :cool:

Back