3D Printed Dial Indicator Holder for Lathe

Jake P

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey all, I just wanted to share something that I came up with in Fusion to print on my new printer.

I purchased an Edge Technology Tool Post Indicator when I first got my lathe and found that I regularly wanted to be able to turn it around for indicating on the face of a workpiece. Of course some time later they came out with a new version that does just that which they call the Tool Post Indicator Deluxe. I did not want to pay another $100 to upgrade from the version that I had already bought for $50, so I set out to make my own with my new 3D printer. For those who might be wondering I got the Bambu Lab X1C with AMS.

I'll add some photos of the holder as well as direct anyone interested in the Fusion file to where that can be found. Please understand that I am new to Fusion (and 3D printing) so there may be a number of things you find can be done better in terms of my Fusion file as well as the suitability of the design for 3D printing.

I have not yet made a proper thumb screw for the tensioning of the rotation clamp, but it takes so little effort to tighten the socket head screw to stop the indicator from rotating in the clamp that it can be done with fingers only. I just printed this in PLA as it's not a high stress or temp application.

I hope that someone may find this useful!

EDIT: I should add that the three large holes are sized to be tapped 1/4-20. That's the size of the socket cap screws used by Edge for attaching the steel bar for the tool holder to clamp onto. I used the same for the clamp screw to keep things simple. Why tapped you may ask? Just to try tapping plastic for myself (worked great). Of course you can model threads in F360 if you desire or use inserts. Though an insert might be tricky down in the recess for the clamp without melting the counter sink area.

This first photo shows an earlier design I did with a thicker clamp body, but I decided to thin it down so I could sneak up closer to the chuck jaws on shorter work pieces. You can also see a prototype I make in the green PLA that I used just to check fitment on the dial indicator before going further.
IMG_3051.jpeg

The second iteration of the clamp is thinner so that both parts protrude no further out than the indicator itself.
IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg

IMG_3058.jpeg

If you would like to download my Fusion file you can find that at Bambu Lab's website MakerWorld.com, and you can search for either my screen name there of Jake P (same as here) or you can search for ZX Indicator Holder.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the design and the Fusion files. I don't have any flat bottom indicators so modified the holder to have a tapered slot to fit the stud on the bottom of all mine with a clearance hole for a through-bolt and captured nut to secure it. It ended up being a light press fit into the slot and is plenty secure without the bolt. I'm also short on holders so I added a dovetail section to the clamp. Works great.

Thanks for sharing the design and the Fusion files. I don't have any flat bottom indicators so modified the holder to have a tapered slot to fit the stud with a through-bolt to secure it. It's a light press fit into the slot and is plenty secure without the bolt. I'm also short on holders so I added a dovetail section to the clamp. Works great.
Glad that you found it useful! I've been getting good use out of mine.

awesome work.
I also got the X1C a couple of weeks ago and have been printing allot.

I have been messing with Fusion since April and still don't have a good knowledge of it. I was successful in generating a file to print a Knee mill adapter for a drill. It broke after using it a few times. I am looking into the infill process now to see if i can make it stronger.
Joe

I went through a couple of printed adapters for the knee. I found PETG with a 4 perimeters and near 100% infill held up well. Some of the PLA+ varieties are being used for high impact applications now as well.

I also tried to soft start it. Going full throttle on the drill from a stop would snap it quick.

Back