3D Printed Tool Holders/Brackets

Dynamically configurable ER20 collet tray

er20tray.GIF

You've really got that printer dialed in nice.

I can't take too much credit there. Prusa MK3 built from kit with default settings. I did built it on an old marble end table, nice flat surface helps when squaring it up. I keep that slab of marble around for things like this.

Just did some testing with the above 3D printed ER20 collet holder. If I push the collet into the holder I can invert it and the collet stays locked in. If I just set the collet in it stays even with large horizontal accelerations, though it will come out if the tray is inverted. I'm thinking this 10mm depth is adequate. I could modify the design to use a little less plastic by making cylinders around each hole, but the infill is already pretty efficient at saving plastic so it is hardly worthwhile. Now I need to decide how many positions is the most useful and make a couple more.

I don't have a 3D printer so have nothing of value to add but I did have a question. I store my collets in plastic storage bins, the multi-compartmented kind with a lid. I do this to protect the collets from dust, dirt and other airborne contaminants until I need to use them. It also reduces the risk of rust. The collet racks you guys are making look like they will be used in open air but I could be mistaken; do you plan to make a cover for them?

I could print covers, but for me this is all going into tool drawers. I don't know how much of a problem dust will be in the new drawers, but in my older Craftsman drawers dust has not been a problem.

20200105_143033.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, thanks, Alan. Like the colors!

That Solutech purple PLA is a bit wild, thought I'd use it up. It prints pretty cleanly.

3D printers have become so inexpensive I'm surprised more folks don't have them. I find more utility from it than most any other tool.

A couple more prints fresh off the printer - a holder for the TTS ER20 tapping tool and a 5 position ER20 collet holder. The blue piece is a custom 3d printed work holder for machining on a plastic injection molded part.

20200105_165516.jpg

Back