4 1/2 morse taper

mce5802

Active User
Registered
I was just wondering if anyone had an idea where I could find a 4 1/2 Morse taper adapter sleeve or just somethin with a 4 1/2 mt shank I could cut off and reuse to make an adapter. My ancient Reed lathe, as near as I can tell, has this taper in the spindle. I've heard that some Clausing lathes had it too so maybe someone manufactures them still. I've had a search on eBay for quite a while with only one showing up and I missed out on it. I've checked the major supply houses as well. Maybe someone knows of another vendor. Thanks in advance.

My guess is that it would be a difficult item to find. On the other hand,
it would not be very difficult to make one if you have a taper attachment
or even with the offset tail stock method. I will look in the Machinery's
Handbook and see if I can find some dimensional information on the
4 1/2 Morse taper for you.

It,s now a few minutes later and there is no mention of a 4 1/2 Morse
taper in the 11th Edition of the Machinery's Handbook. Do you know
for sure it is a 4 1/2 MT taper? If not, it might be some other type
of taper used like Brown and Sharpe or Jarno ETC.

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea where I could find a 4 1/2 Morse taper adapter sleeve or just something with a 4 1/2 mt shank I could cut off and reuse to make an adapter. My ancient Reed lathe, as near as I can tell, has this taper in the spindle. I've heard that some Clausing lathes had it too so maybe someone manufactures them still. I've had a search on eBay for quite a while with only one showing up and I missed out on it. I've checked the major supply houses as well. Maybe someone knows of another vendor. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
there is MT4 1/2 tooling, they are like finding hens' teeth.
i have searched for a couple years on and off for them.
no luck yet- you'll need a good eye to spot them they are deceptively similar to MT4 and MT5 and can easily be mistaken.

nobody that has them seems to know what they are,
so they would generally be rusty or in a pile of other tooling from days gone by.

i hope you have better luck than i in finding them:))

there is no mention of a 4 1/4 Morse
taper in the 11th Edition of the Machinery's Handbook. Do you know
for sure it is a 4 1/2 MT taper? If not, it might be some other type
of taper used like Brown and Sharpe or Jarno ETC.

In the 28th edition the specs for MT4.5 starts on page 927.

Thanks for the replies. Pretty sure it's a 4 1/2 from measurements I took and a chart I found on the internet. Its real close to a b&s 11 taper (which my k&t uses...also ancient) but no cigar.also the tailstock is MT 5 so my guess would be the spindle is a Morse taper too. Was hoping someone made em, but I guess I'll just make one myself. The old girl has a taper attachment on it, maybe I can indicate the spindle taper to set it. And send for a MT 3 reamer. Excuse to buy another tool lol.

Standard machine taper had a 4 1/2 mt that was in between a mt4 and mt5---your Reed lathe took a 6L or--- 15H collet which were also used on Sidney ---24-36" --Hendey no. 15-and Cushman------collet 6L were also used on LeBlond #6 16-20"---6L up to 1" capacity round and 15H up to 1 3/4 capacity round---I'm not sure how the mt4 1/2 fits into the spindles measurements on lathes--I just know that Standard Machine Taper did make them as per MH--11th edition--------Dave

Last edited:
I bought mine from Grizzly. Let me check online and see if I can find a part number.

Thanks again I'll check grizzly. And good to hear from you Dave...never heard of those collets you mention...are you thinking the taper may be specific to those collets and not a Morse taper at all? Be nice to have a set of collets up to 1 3/4 wow. The spindle bore is only around 1 1/4 though. I'll try and get more precise measurements.

Thanks again I'll check grizzly. And good to hear from you Dave...never heard of those collets you mention...are you thinking the taper may be specific to those collets and not a Morse taper at all? Be nice to have a set of collets up to 1 3/4 wow. The spindle bore is only around 1 1/4 though. I'll try and get more precise measurements.

What size and age is your Reed lathe---maybe it takes the 6L collets which max size is 1"-----Dave

Back