• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

4-40 taps

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I’ll be starting a project requiring two 4-40 taped holes in 6061 aluminum 1.5” deep thru hole , 40total
I tried google search for reduced shank 4-40 taps , didn’t turn up anything that would go that deep , any suggestions ?, coatings?
I have a tapmatic that I was thinking of power taping them.
Also remind me about H2-H3-H5 threads
Thanks

Tinkertoy1941

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I would suggest a redesign because I think that you can not use the whole 1.500 length of thread.
If the thread has to go through the bottom side open the top side for tap shank clearance.
Need more info

dennys502

Registered
Registered
Do you need threads on both sides of the plate? One side could be drilled larger. H1 is basic pitch to .0005 plus - add .0005 as you go up.

Tinkertoy1941

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Another thought from eBay!
1528564240152.png
You could grind this pulley tap down to just clear the threads.

FLguy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Ought to work well. That company, I have bought from several times, fast delivery. You could have offered less than their stated price and if with in reason they often accept your bid.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Be prepared to snap a tap or two trying to tap 4-40 threads that deep. Aluminum is "gummy" and tends to grab. Use plenty of tapping fluid. If you can change the design to make the thread shallower (both width and depth) it would make the job easier

mksj

Active User
You would not use a spiral point tap if this is a blind hole, if a through hole then they would be appropriate. A spiral flute is used on blind holes. You want a short threaded tip, the spiral point will move the chips forward, the spiral flute will pull them back out. Use cutting fluid, if power tapping then make sure the tap alignment to the hole is spot on. If the tapped thread can be a partial, you may be able to drill a slightly larger hole for tapping and do a partial thread, a #43, 2.3 mm or a 3/32 drill are very slightly oversized.
thread chart.jpg
4-40 H2 2 Flute 4" HSS V3 Spiral Flute Bottoming Tap, looks like the it might do threads to 1.5".
https://www.suncoasttools.com/crm/ItemPage.aspx?ItemNumber=800.112040+G9162++YG&VendorNumber=YG1TOOL
taps.jpg
This tap is specific for aluminum but the tap depth may be an issue.
https://www.suncoasttools.com/crm/ItemPage.aspx?ItemNumber=800.112040+C0162++YG&VendorNumber=YG1TOOL

The application or design may help others suggest maybe a redesign or alternative solution. I will often tap the bottom of the hole and then use a shoulder which is larger for the top part of the hole. I cut the matching shank and threaded tip to match. The type of aluminum can also make a significant difference, I assume this is 6061?

Last edited:

Glenn Goodlett

Registered
Registered
I think I'm only good for about 80% on tapping 4-40, so, I would plan on some broken taps and scrapped parts.

Best of luck

dlane

Active User
The hole is taped all the way thru so a 4-40 set screw Locks the top button head screw with a Belleville washer under it,
To keep downward pressure on a rotating aluminum top. I’ve made these before after grinding the tap shank to clear the threads but that tap is wore out. I have a taping fixture or a tapmatic 1a I’m hoping to use.
This is California if you want to see a design pm me.
Thanks for the help, advice, thoughts

Kernbigo

Active User
Registered
Thread forming and x-press are the same thing,that is what they were design for soft material,Besly design that tap when I worked there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dlane

Active User
Not familiar with those taps , hopefully the ones I ordered will work ok.

pdentrem

Active User
Registered
I see that x-press tap is a company product name. Another piece of info to file away for future use.

[6]
[5] [7]