4 Cylinder Inline Engine

Been working on the pistons the last couple of days.
This shows cutting the o-ring groove in the piston.
IMG_3030.JPG

And a group photo.
IMG_3033.JPG

Slotting the piston for the connecting rod.
IMG_3036.JPG

Drilling for the wrist pin.
IMG_3039.JPG

Ready for the connecting rods.
IMG_3042.JPG

I installed brass bushings in the piston end of the connecting rods but didn't get a picture.

Everything fits and turns smoothly.
IMG_3045.JPG

Happy days.

Thanks for looking.
Ray

Thanks Chris
I did have to cut the block down some to get the compression ratio up where I wanted it.
I took off 0.025 to raise the ratio up to 6.2 to 1.
I must have added when I should have subtracted when drilling the holes for the wrist pins.
Ray

Cylinder head day.
Time to see if my calculations are correct.
First spot drill the hole locations.
IMG_3048.JPG

Then on the drill press finish drilling through for the head bolts, intake, and exhaust holes.
Counter drill for the head bolt recesses and partially drill for the spark plug.
IMG_3051.JPG

The spark plug hole gets finished later just before final assembly.

I am happy to say the 16 head bolt holes all lined up just fine.

Thanks for looking
Ray

It's always a good day when you trust your DROs and it all works out.

After posting the comment above, I realized you probably used the CNC mill to spot the holes. Regardless, it's always good when everything lines up.

You are correct Chris and even using the CNC there is still a possibility when drilling the holes that the bit will wander off some. I have never made a 4 cylinder head in one piece before. A couple of 0.001s off in each of the 16 holes could add up to a problem later.

Ray

I made 8 brass valve guides, these are longer than usual for me. I am planing an overhead cam for this engine and I noticed that on the other engines I had built with overhead cams the valve stems were subjected to some side loads. Making the guides longer should give the valve stems more stability.
IMG_3057.JPG

Installed the guides.
IMG_3058.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

True, longer guides equals more stability. Good thinking Ray. That little engine, the way you designed it should be capable of some high rpm;s.

Back