4 Cylinder Inline Engine

I have been trying to make the original crank work with a center main bearing but every thing I try just makes it worse. Those pieces will go into the "Too good to throw away" bin and I will start over on a new crank shaft. The new crank will not have needle rod bearings as originally designed but bronze split bushings and it will be flat not round.
Some of the new pieces for the crank.
IMG_3135.JPG

I wanted to make sure that I had enough room for the center bearing so I made and installed the center support.
It will be a close but it does fit and the throws line up with the pistons.
IMG_3138.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I assembled the crank pieces last night with Loc-Tite and left them to set over night.
I then installed tapered pins at all stress points and put it in the engine block. As expected it was a perfect fit but I still had not cut out the main shaft to allow for the rods.
IMG_3142.JPG

Cutting out the sections for the connecting rods.
IMG_3146.JPG

Now it should stay straight after cutting but you never know.

I didn't get a picture of it installed in the block but it did stay straight and runs smooth and true.
Now for some paint.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Yay!!! Looks like you're moving forward.

The new crankshaft installed in the block.
IMG_3149.JPG

Rod bearings and pistons installed and everything still runs true.
IMG_3152.JPG

This is where we were 10 days ago but now we have a new crank shaft.
IMG_3155.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I have been practicing my tubing bending skills today.
The local hardware store has some thin wall 5/16" brass coated tubing 3 feet long for $7.00. Now I have tried to bend this tubing before and it was a total disaster until I started using this stuff. Cerrobend is a low temp metal (melts at 158 degrees Fahrenheit) is poured into the tubing before bending. I put it in a pan of water on the stove and when it is melted I spoon it in the tube. It is heaver than water so the water is displaced and when the tube is full take it out and let it cool. When you are done with your bends just heat the tube and the Cerrobend just runs out with no cleanup and It can be reused over and over again.

Exhaust pipes
IMG_3156.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Thanks Chris and Tom I think they look good too.

I am working on the fuel system now and I am going to try an up draft carb configuration. All of my multi piston engines have one cylinder that doesn't work as hard as the others. Some of the cylinders are too rich and some are too lean so tuning for the best running can be difficult. This engine will have the most balanced routing I can make so we will see if this helps.

Intake box.
IMG_3160.JPG

And installed on the engine.
IMG_3162.JPG

No sharp 90 degree bends and they all should have an equal share of the fuel flow.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Thanks Dhall22 I don't know if it is amazing but I am trying.

Made a base from poplar with a walnut stain and clear finish today.
IMG_3165.JPG

Also started on a separate box for the electronics.
I caught myself using a caliper to measure the wood pieces.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back