4 jaw chuck adapter?

rafe

Active User
Registered
I picked up a second atlas/craftsman 6 to use as a dedicated horizontal mill it has an 8 thread per inch spindle. As does the 4 jaw that came with it. I would like to use it on my other lathe a/c 6 w/ 10 TPI spindle what is the standard route to take ? make an 8"to 10" adapter ? or a new backing plate? I am new at this and my experience is limited. I have never threaded on the lathe but I do believe I can manage it, so I am leaning towards the adapter....any one have any suggestions? Thanks

Hello Rafe,

I'm having a difficult time following the question.

If I'm even close to what you are asking I'd look to using a tool holding collet system on the lathe I wanted as a horizontal mill and the 4 jaw on the turning lathe.

If needed I'd make a new back plate to mount the 4 jaw on the turning lathe. Save the old back plate and label it to put back if needed.

I don't like adapters as they put the chuck even farther out from the bearings.

I'm probably missing some info here as to what the impetus is here. I'm gathering that you bought a new lathe to use as a mill and it came with a 4 jaw chuck you want to use on your turning lathe.

Steve

Some don,t like them, but I have several for many different size chucks
The 1 inch or less it happens to use up is min, and goes unnoticed.
Take a look here.

[SUB]http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/1438-Chuck-adapter-plate?highlight=8ntsane

Take a look at the spindle hub, thats a L-1 type, and you wouldnt be just making those up like a regular back plate for a threaded spindle. So adapter plate make way more sense on my machine.[/SUB]

Hello Rafe,

I'm probably missing some info here as to what the impetus is here. I'm gathering that you bought a new lathe to use as a mill and it came with a 4 jaw chuck you want to use on your turning lathe.

Steve

No,that's it, you got it right, I made a 2MT 3/8" millend holder to get me started on the mill, I tapped it and also made a drawbar....
I ordered a set of 2mt collets which I am going to pick up in a few minutes at the post office...love the internet ...I actually know they were delivered today lol. Thanks for the reply...

Back