4-jaw Indepedent Chucks

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been using the Bison 6" 3-jaw that came with my Heavy 10L but I have a few jobs coming up that I'll pro'lly need a 4-jaw for. What's with the cost difference between 3-jaw scroll and 4-jaw independents? I would think the 4-jaw would be more but I'm finding it's the other way around. Is it because the 3-jaw body has more metal due to only having 3-jaws or is the scrolling function more difficult to make accurately?

Another question I have is should I go with a 6" or 8" 4-jaw? Looking at Bison's figures, for example, the 3-jaw scroll is 21lbs and the 4-jaw indy is 32lbs. Then I'd have the weight of the threaded backplate. What would you go with?

I generally like to have a 4-jaw one size bigger than my scroll chucks but that may not always be the case depending on the size of the lathe.

I currently have a 12x lathe, I use a 6" 3-jaw, 6.3" 6-jaw, & an 8" 4-jaw. My spindle is a cam lock mount so for my 4-jaw I went with a direct mount to eliminate the need for a backplate.

Hey Splat!

Long time no type.

I have a 10L and a 6 inch 3-jaw, and 8inch 3-jaw (with a large bore) and a 6 inch 4-jaw.
I know it seems tempting to get the biggest size you can fit, but it is really and pain, and not terribly useful to cram an 8 inch chuck in a 10 inch lathe unless you predict you will need it.

I am actually looking for a nice 5 inch chuck as a matter of fact.

Bernie

Bernie

Dad always told me to put the largest 4-jaw you can get on your lathe.
I have a 9" SBL that has a 8" light duty 4-jaw on it. That was the only chuck dad had for it all the years I used it until I bought a 6" 3-jaw after dad passed.
My 13" lathe has a both a 8" and 10" 4-jaw on it. My new old 15" has a 10" 4-jaw chuck on it, too.
I also have a 9" 3-jaw "adjust a true" for my 13" lathe, too.
I hardly ever have issues with holding anything with what I have, other than not having a lathe with a larger swing!

Splat:
I bought a good, used, Poland 4 jaw chuck for 100$ from an equipment dealer. I figured that it's worth the risk because from what I've seen, that they don't get used as often, overall as a 3 jaw.

Hey Splat!

Long time no type.

I have a 10L and a 6 inch 3-jaw, and 8inch 3-jaw (with a large bore) and a 6 inch 4-jaw.
I know it seems tempting to get the biggest size you can fit, but it is really and pain, and not terribly useful to cram an 8 inch chuck in a 10 inch lathe unless you predict you will need it.

I am actually looking for a nice 5 inch chuck as a matter of fact.

I just saw a 5" Bison 4-jaw somewhere but have to find it again. I'll send you the link when I find it.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I may be better off sticking with the 6" 4-jaw then. I don't get it....the 8" are cheaper than the 6"!

Anyone bought one of the 4-jaw chucks from Jeff @ Tools4cheap? I know it's not a Bison but was wondering if it's worth a go?

That is a very good price, and hard to beat with a back plate. Really depends if you are going to be using the 4 jaw a few times for small pieces, or more frequently and or need a bigger chuck. I can recommend Tools4cheap, purchased an 8" back plate from him recently, that no one else new anything about and shipped quickl. You might ask him about what he has for you in the Fuerda Gator line, which supposedly are close to the Bison in quality and less expensive. I would probably go with an 8" if you can swing it (weight should not be a big issue), my biggest problem with a generic 4 jaw I purchased was with poor quality (low cost), poor balance and a bit gritty/sloppy mechanism. But independent chucks are a lot less complicated (read simple) compared to a scroll.
Might look at this one: 1-301-0800 Universal (PI4) Semi-Steel Chucks, Plain Back, 4-Jaw Independent, 2 PC Reversible Jaws 8"

Anyone bought one of the 4-jaw chucks from Jeff @ Tools4cheap? I know it's not a Bison but was wondering if it's worth a go?

Some suppliers want close to $140 for just the back-plate, to me it looks like a good deal. Check out the shipping charges, to ship to my zip code would be $27 and change and I HATE to pay for for shipping.
CDCO wants $92 for the chuck and another $42 for the back plate plus shipping, Enco's price is $205; so the tools for cheap offering looks like a good buy and worth a go.

Back