4 Jaw Independant Chuck Options?

Spokerider

Registered
Registered
Guys,
Wondering......what options are available for a 4 jaw independent chuck, to be fitted on a Craftsman 101.07301? Mine has the 1 x 8TPI spindle.

So far, I have found a 4" Shars on ebay that comes with the adapter. There are both 4" and 5" chucks with adapter plate at LMS [ although I have no idea what brand they are or where they're made ]. Sanou brand on ebay but I'll need to figure out an adapter plate for this as I don't think that they have a 1 x 8TPI adapter plate available.

Ditto for the India made chucks on ebay…...no adapter plate...and ?quality?

Then there are the spendy Bison chucks with plain back. I would need to come up with an adapter plate for this one too. This newbie is not really wanting to drop $1000 on a chuck at this time tho.

Any other options?

Also.......4" or 5" for this lathe with bronze spindle bushings? Not sure which way to go.

Thank you for your thots.

The 1"-8 tpi adapter plate from LMS would work for any of those chucks. Regardless of whether the adapter plate comes with the chuck or not, it will still need to be finish machined on your lathe.

I can't personally vouch for any of the chucks you've mentioned, but I suspect any of them would be satisfactory. I had a Shars 3 jaw chuck for my Craftsman 101 and didn't have any complaints. I would recommend a 4" chuck over the 5".

I would also recommend the 4" over the 5". You won't be able to hold a much larger piece with the 5" than with the 4" because the jaws will strike the bed if you try. I don't have any personal experience with any of the Chinese made chucks. All of mine are USA made except for one German 3-jaw chuck that has a clamp built into it to prevent it coming loose if working with the machine in reverse. Plus my lathe is a 3996, so none of them would fit anyway.

I forgot to add that from what little that I know about the Chinese companies, Shars seems to generally be the most expensive and to have the best reputation, So if I needed to buy a chuck to fit a lathe like yours, I would most likely buy the Shars.

I would also recommend the 4" over the 5". You won't be able to hold a much larger piece with the 5" than with the 4" because the jaws will strike the bed if you try. I don't have any personal experience with any of the Chinese made chucks. All of mine are USA made except for one German 3-jaw chuck that has a clamp built into it to prevent it coming loose if working with the machine in reverse. Plus my lathe is a 3996, so none of them would fit anyway.
How does the clamp work on the German 3-jaw chuck to keep it from coming loose in reverse?

The register and threads stick out the rear of the backing plate (which is also the rear of the chuck, not a separate part as on a plain-back chuck) and are split or slotted four places at 90 degrees. Over this fits a two-bolt split clamp. To install, you loosen the two clamp bolts, screw the chuck onto the spindle until it bottoms, and then tighten the two clamp bolts. The chuck itself is as heavy as my 6" Pratt-Bernard so I use the same stand (or another one just like it) made from a piece of 4"x4" fence post to install or remove it.

Back