4 months to go .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Moved so much into the basement for the winter getting ready for retirement and Cabin Fever in Feb . My plans are to get everything up to the show this Feb and retire at the end of Feb . I set a goal of $$$ and will easily meet this . 4 months , separating tools for machining , mechanic work , mountain property work , rental property work , tractor work , chainsaw work , household work has taken it's toll for the past 2 years with the Covid stuff . Time to move on , and yes , I'm looking forward to it . :encourage:

I have a 5C Hardinge , a 4MT Republic , a 3MT Enco and just 2 R8 mills . So separating this tooling is getting easier but tiring at this point . If I don't have the machines , I will no longer buy the tooling . Easier said than done , but I won't . :grin: Wrenches . Yes , I got a text from a member about them . I have a few thousand . I'll fill in my sets and unload the rest . Ratchets and sockets . :eek: Yard sale material for next spring . Clamps . Big C clamps will be posted on here very soon and the member will be notified . TBC .

Attachments

• IMG_9603.JPG
    IMG_9603.JPG
    607.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9604.JPG
    IMG_9604.JPG
    456.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9605.JPG
    IMG_9605.JPG
    509.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9606.JPG
    IMG_9606.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9607.JPG
    IMG_9607.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9608.JPG
    IMG_9608.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9609.JPG
    IMG_9609.JPG
    493 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9610.JPG
    IMG_9610.JPG
    600.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9611.JPG
    IMG_9611.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9612.JPG
    IMG_9612.JPG
    513.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9613.JPG
    IMG_9613.JPG
    428.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9614.JPG
    IMG_9614.JPG
    452 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9615.JPG
    IMG_9615.JPG
    620.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9616.JPG
    IMG_9616.JPG
    408.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9617.JPG
    IMG_9617.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 64
Let me know when you get to the R8 collets. I'm assuming by looking the tool posts they are not BXA.....
I have an MT4 tailstock now too, a couple of drill chucks look about there.....

Last edited:
Got a 5/8" Silver and Deming (reduced shank) drill bit you can spare, or just complete sets?

Are you going to use the FIMS stuff on the Republic lathe? Are those FIMS type insert tool holders shop made?
rs_1024x759-180624093956-1024-zsa-zsa.cm_.72418.jpg

Moved so much into the basement for the winter getting ready for retirement and Cabin Fever in Feb . My plans are to get everything up to the show this Feb and retire at the end of Feb . I set a goal of $$$ and will easily meet this . 4 months , separating tools for machining , mechanic work , mountain property work , rental property work , tractor work , chainsaw work , household work has taken it's toll for the past 2 years with the Covid stuff . Time to move on , and yes , I'm looking forward to it . :encourage:
Sorry, you've only got three (3) months: Cabin Fever is January 13 & 14th. See you there!

What size are the FIMS toolholders? I got a FIMS post but no holders on my new-to-me Cadillac 1428 lathe. I've been trying to figure out what size the post is - the label is damaged.

What size are the FIMS toolholders? I got a FIMS post but no holders on my new-to-me Cadillac 1428 lathe. I've been trying to figure out what size the post is - the label is damaged.
The 14" lathe is probably best fitted with a FIMS No. 3 post, which is about the same as an Aloris BA. If you pull up the Dorian tool post catalog, you will find sizing charts. None of the above are interchangeable unless they follow the Aloris standard. FIMS is unique, but the sizes correlate as a near neighbor to Aloris as far as post size grouping goes. See also "IMS" without the "F", and DoAll tool posts, they are all FIMS parts.

The 14" lathe is probably best fitted with a FIMS No. 3 post, which is about the same as an Aloris BA. If you pull up the Dorian tool post catalog, you will find sizing charts. None of the above are interchangeable unless they follow the Aloris standard. FIMS is unique, but the sizes correlate as a near neighbor to Aloris as far as post size grouping goes. See also "IMS" without the "F", and DoAll tool posts, they are all FIMS parts.
My lathe came with a FIMS post, so I don't get to pick the size. The label is damaged so I don't know what size the post is.

CXA holders will fit the dovetails and lock in place. Makes me think maybe my FIMS post is a #4? Of course the height adjustment is very different so I can't just drop CXA holders on the FIMS post and go.

In order to get the machine running I got one of the Asian "Bostar" CXA wedge post/holder sets. But the FIMS has some advantages and I'd like to accumulate some matching toolholders as time goes by.

CXAs will fit the dovetails of the Fims #4 . Will they lock up and would I use them ? No . The Fims measures approx 4 " across the 2 opposing dovetails . I'll use the Fims on a 14" lathe . Fits good , and I do have plenty of extra holders to part with . They are not shop made , but are OEM Fims holders . I have 7 turning insert holders , I might need 3 . I also have the CXAs to go . The BXAs will go on the 13" lathe and the AXAs will go on the Hardinge . If you need Fims #4 holders or Aloris CXAs , shoot me a PM .

Back