4 x 6 bandsaw

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A few years back, I bought a 1988 Jet 4 x 6, used, for about $75. I only needed it for a small job in conjunction with my cabinetmaking business. So I struggled through the bad blade, missing handles, etc., thinking, "what a piece of garbage."

Fast forward to now. I'm getting the metal hobby shop going, and finally got around to taking a look at the saw. New blade, readjusted and lubed the bearings, fiddled with the guides, etc. It cuts pretty nicely, so it's time to do the mods. I've put on new wheels, and replaced the vise screw handle. I think the extended jaws and cut-off stop are next. Then, maybe the flip table. And now I'm thinking, "it ain't so bad."

I finally opened up the gearbox, and took a look. What is supposed to be in there? Mine is about 1/3 full of a heavy, brown grease. It's what we called "bear grease" when I worked in a bicycle shop, 45 years ago. The worm and the gear were well coated, and I've never heard any odd noises. (When I do, I use the Car Guys' method of dealing with them: I turn up the radio.)

Also, there is a fairly large mess of casting slag in the cutoff slot. It doesn't interfere with anything except my sense of esthetics. What would you suggest as the best way of cleaning it up?

Have I missed anything critical? I've looked at the bandsaw mods page, and gotten a few ideas. I'm certainly open for more suggestions.

Mike,
The 4X6 bandsaw group at Yahoo has a tune and true procedure that will really help the little saw be all it can be. It takes about an hour to do and made a world of difference in mine when I did it. If you have a problem finding the thread in their archives let me know ans I will ask permission to repost it over here, with proper credit to the originator and all that. Hope this helps.
Bob

Those 4X6 saws are tough to beat for the money. If they had a more substantial stand they would be great. There is a thread on the yahoo group about using a 2 drawer file cabinet as a base and putting it all on swivel casters for mobility and ease of movement. There are a bunch of mods that can be done to improve that saw, like a vice jaw extension, a hydraulic down feed, a flood coolant system and a goose neck lamp to go with the flexible coolant tube for the flood system. It's almost unlimited what can be done with one with a bit of material and some patience. Glad you got yours working nicely already.
Bob

I started with an older Harbor Freight 4x6, which worked well, but the stand was very flimsey. I now have a Jet 4x6 which is a vast improvement. It needs no stand upgrade.
Since then, I've bought a bigger US-made 6x12, but I think the Jet will stay.

Back