40:1 dividing head plates - hole numbers?

just old al

Chaos Merchant
Registered
I recently obtained a very, very nice Carroll dividing head - older one with a B&S 9 collet boring. Once I cleaned it up and freed up the rotation mechanism it's lovely - smooth as silk.

However, it only came with one plate. Now, I am well aware that I can simply make a plate for any number of teeth or spacing I care to create - but as an anal-retentive I am giving thought to making a 'complete' set of plates for it.

While I have seen the listings of 'A', 'B', 'C' and so on plates for B&S heads, I've never seen a listing for the number of holes accomodated on each plate in the set - and that's what I'm asking for - anyone ever seen such a list? I don;t expect to ever find a listing for what this Carroll ever camew with - that would surprise me no end. So, B&S it is if possible.

Thanks, folks.

Alan

Look online for Brown & Sharpe's book "A practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines"; I think you could also find the info in Machinery's Handbook. The Carroll dividing head would use plates with the same numbers of holes, there are three plates to the set, all drilled on one side only. Machinery's handbook has the dividing tables for both the B&S type and Cincinnati, which has plates with more hole circles and only uses one plate drilled on both sides that is considerably larger in diameter. If you cannot find the info, message me and I will look it up for you.

Look online for Brown & Sharpe's book "A practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines"; I think you could also find the info in Machinery's Handbook. The Carroll dividing head would use plates with the same numbers of holes, there are three plates to the set, all drilled on one side only. Machinery's handbook has the dividing tables for both the B&S type and Cincinnati, which has plates with more hole circles and only uses one plate drilled on both sides that is considerably larger in diameter. If you cannot find the info, message me and I will look it up for you.

Many thanks, Benny. Never occurred to me to look at Machinery's for that plate data. I'll have a dig about - if I can't manage to locate it I'll message you. Thank You!

Do the math.
360 Deg, / 40 is 9 Deg. per revolution.
A 9 hole plate will yield 1 Deg, of rotation per hole. To rotate a part 10 Deg. would require 1 revolution plus 1 division.
Scale it up or down.

Do the math.
360 Deg, / 40 is 9 Deg. per revolution.
A 9 hole plate will yield 1 Deg, of rotation per hole. To rotate a part 10 Deg. would require 1 revolution plus 1 division.
Scale it up or down.

The maths are not a problem, and that I knew.

What I was looking for was the 'content' (sets of holes per plate) of the set of plates that would have come with a B&S head. When I get bored (and get a chuck mounted on this thing!) I'm going to reproduce a set of plates for general usage. This avoids me having to stop and fab a plate when doing other things.

Thanks, though.

Hello Old Al,
Just heading to bed but I as thinking those hole numbers seemed familiar so I checked my dividing head which is 40:1 and I think there may be a number missing in the list I got for the B&S,
What I have is: Plate A: 15,16,17,18,19,20
Plate B: 21,23,27,29,31,33
Plate C: 37,39,41,43,47,49

Hope that looks good to you.
Cheers,
Merry Solstice.

Many thanks - many, many thanks. Need to get myself some gauge plate and I can foresee many happy hours of drilling... :)

Happy Yule as well.
If you can find someone to do the work with a CNC mill, that would be easy and quick, and probably not all that expensive. Drilling all those holes is a big chore, and every hole drilled is a place for a mistake on a manual machine, scrapping the part.
I highly suggest you talk to Mike Wiggins. He has been there, done that... The first one Mike did for Keith, with the fewest amount of holes, took 7 minutes! (programming and setup time not included...)

1545499073637.png

1545499096528.png

1545499616725.png

Last edited:
Back