4C arbor value

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've made an offer on this arbor for my Hardinge BB4 but I have two questions.

1639773733985.png

First, is this thing so rare that I should just buy it at $115 + shipping which puts it at the original price with shipping?

Second, will I even be able to find 1/2" plain milling cutters to use on it?

Or should I just get a 3/4" straight shank arbor (worried about it slipping) and try to drive it with one of the 4C collets I already own?

Okay, that's actually three questions....

John

I'm gonna take the silence here to mean I should go ahead and get this thing since it's so rare nobody even has an opinion....

John

Have you considered making your own arbor?
Yes, I have considered it.

I could make one on the lathe but my concern is still having it slip in the collets I have. I've already experienced this with end mills and assume it would be worse with the larger diameter of a side milling cutter like this.

Maybe there's some trick I don't yet know but 4C collets aren't super common and having an original Hardinge piece is attractive in itself.

This unit should hold tight in my small mill and I probably don't need that many cutters.

John

Have you considered making an arbor with an integral 4C collet?

Maybe make two and sell the other one on E-Bay...:)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, since I don't have a current project where I need this I'll go ahead and let this seller keep it. I looked through his other auctions and everything else he has is overpriced too.

Apparently he inherited a big pile of stuff from his dad and he's trying to sell it off but from what I see he'll likely end up keeping most of it.

I'll see about making an arbor on my lathe, maybe even trying to get the taper and threads down but at least I should be able to make one that will fit an existing collet.

My biggest fear with buying something like this is the next week I'll get offered a box full of the stuff for $50 ;)

John

I don't know for $115 I'd probably do it. With this weird stuff its not just paying for it, but finding it in the first place. From what I've seen $100 or so seems to be pretty typical for horizontal mill arbors more common than 4C.

As far as the milling cutters I believe you can make spacers to use larger bore cutters on a smaller arbor. The cutters also seem to be pretty generic just having a 7/8", 1" or whatever hole for mounting so probably a lot easier to find one to fit a 1/2" arbor than to find another 4C arbor.

I went ahead and bought it. Figure it goes with the machine and even if I end up making tooling it won’t say Hardinge on it.

John

Back