5" Face mill recommendations

you should buy my machine however long trip from the north
no setup, done quickly

btw are these overhead cam heads?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The heads I am looking for a shell mill for are 2 stroke heads.

I have a RMC-10 cbn/pcd surfacer. Even though this machines soup purpose is for surfacing heads and blocks there is just no good way about mounting a 2 stroke head to the cylinder head fixture that is bolted to the table of the machine.

I also have a 5hp Acer knee mill which I also have a cylinder head fixture for to do other various head work with.

I would like to be able to mount some of the heads to the fixture on the mill to surface them.

With most of these heads you can't just clamp it down from the combustion chamber side with parallels on the table and run it through a fly cutter or larger face mill.

Some heads are pulled to the fixture via the spark plug hole and others such as air cooled heads you can manage to put some hold downs on in the corners.

Some day I will have a lathe but right now I don't...

Attachments

• 440reedinserts.jpg
    440reedinserts.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230221_212831.jpg
    IMG_20230221_212831.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230221_154743746.jpg
    PXL_20230221_154743746.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 12
  • images (5).jpeg
    images (5).jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 12
My 2 cents is that I just got an 80mm (3.15”) R8 integral shank face mill from Glacern to use on a 3HP, 3 phase knee mill. It has 6 inserts.

I read that you said shallow cuts on aluminum…with a 5 or 10 HP mill! In the mere 9 hours of face milling with the above setup, I learned that I can get away with .035” DOC cuts on mild steel, but I am almost positive that this .035” is the upper limit for what the mill above can power. I will never try a deeper DOC. The limitations seem to be (1) rigidity, and (2) power. Good thing you have more HP and presumably more rigidity with your heavier machines.

5” (well, 2-1/2”) is a huge lever.

I would be very interested to hear what your upper limit is using a 5” face mill for aluminum on a 5 or 10 HP knee mill, as well as see pictures of the workholding.

Last edited:
The R8 doesn't get enough credit. Plenty of guys out there in the automotive field swinging a HQT 10" aluminum body 90 degree face mill that uses apkt inserts with R8.

Pushing that set up to the limit was a small block Ford aluminum head .125 DOC in about 3 minutes the surface of that head was left with 10ra.

10 inserts @ .002" per tooth @ 700 rpm for example.
.020" per Rev @ 700rpm= 14 IPM, Big block Chevy head is 22.25L
@ .001" per tooth/7 IPM @ .125" DOC is it really killing the mill?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The heads I am looking for a shell mill for are 2 stroke heads.

I have a RMC-10 cbn/pcd surfacer. Even though this machines soup purpose is for surfacing heads and blocks there is just no good way about mounting a 2 stroke head to the cylinder head fixture that is bolted to the table of the machine.

I also have a 5hp Acer knee mill which I also have a cylinder head fixture for to do other various head work with.

I would like to be able to mount some of the heads to the fixture on the mill to surface them.

With most of these heads you can't just clamp it down from the combustion chamber side with parallels on the table and run it through a fly cutter or larger face mill.

Some heads are pulled to the fixture via the spark plug hole and others such as air cooled heads you can manage to put some hold downs on in the corners.

Some day I will have a lathe but right now I don't...
Snowmobiles?

Is it a bunch of different engines, or all the same? You should be able tobuild a fixture that will hold them down through the plug hole but if not why not use a smaller flycutter?

The best guy I ever had doing my heads (4 stroke racing kart engines) used a diamond fly cutter and the finish was beautiful.

I suspect you can come up with a fixture that will work with anything give time and desire.

John

Back