.50 cal receivers

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I know where there are quite a few .50 cal receivers and muzzle brakes plus a few more misc. parts. These are parts a company got stuck with after a big time gun manufacturer got on the wrong side of the law and was shut down & some people got some prison time. Basically they are just scrap metal now. How difficult/expensive would it be to finish one of these complete guns?

Youre talking .50 BMG correct? Biggest concern I would have is what steel is the receiver made from. With that caliber, proper heattreatment is paramount importance .. Cant do a proper heat treatment without knowing for absolute certain which steel it is...I'd be scared of it unless I built it in a less formidable caliber...but I tend to prefer to err of the safe side.

I would be able to get all that info, I'm not sure as to what stage of completion they are at at this point, they could have been sent to heat treat and back to get finished or may be pre heat treat. I don't know if I'd even make a completely functional one or just a cool display piece gaining me some experience and sharpening my skills.

you would need a letter of determination from the ATF that they are not finished, and not considered firearms by them.
then it'd be ok to finish the build as long as your not planning on selling one.

That sounds interesting. As mentioned already though, extreme care must be taken when putting together something for this caliber. You are dealing with a LOT of force even if the pressures might not be as high as some other "high speed" calibers. If you can get all the proper information on the receivers I think it would be a great project. If you can't get the info and just want to make something for display, that would be great as well. Just make sure that there is no possible way to chamber a round and fire it.

Another thing to be cautious about in picking up the receivers is whether or not an FFL is required for the transaction. You didn't say or don't know the completeness of the receivers and whether or not they would be considered "firearms" under the law - just something to be aware of.

I'd be curious to hear more on this.

Thanks,

-Ron

If the ATF didn't confiscate them they are probably not yet "firearms". As to heat treat, Blanchard in SLC, amongst a couple of others, can do a perfect job. The person that has them may know who they were going to use. Have any pictures?

Interested here as well. I know the company you are referring to and have the book and plans. Please let us know if these are available for purchase and costs. Pictures would be great.
Thanks.

They were heat treated here locally. I'll do some checking on them. They are not in the "System" so to speak as they are just blanks being machined.

Charley,
I would be interested in a receiver depending on what you find out.
Mike Gibson

Back