Pacer do you run it at 10-15hz very much. Do you notice much torque loss?

Yes there is torque loss - and, understandably so... but I have never seen any indication that the VFD is affected by operation this way, and its pretty surprising just what a low hz setting will do - It will just simply stop, and when load is removed it will again operate. And, even on occasion it will throw a default, but here again, I just hit the 'reset' button and away it goes.

It has been mentioned that over heating of the motor can occur when using low hz due to the fan not turning as fast as necessary - and, logically this would seem to be the case, but, I have often had a situation where I was operating at low hz for an extended period and would frequently place my hand on the motor housing to check for heat build up --- have never even had a hint of heat.

As I mentioned, probably 80-90% of my use is in the 30-50hz range.

Did I mention I LOVE my VFD's!!:thumbsup:

I have often had a situation where I was operating at low hz for an extended period and would frequently place my hand on the motor housing to check for heat build up --- have never even had a hint of heat.
As I mentioned, probably 80-90% of my use is in the 30-50hz range.

That is good to know. makes me want to setup the lathe on top speed and use the VFD to run it at 30-50hz for a while and check motor heat myself as it would make changing speeds quicker. until now I was just taking the "better safe than sorry" approach babying the motor. As for the 30-50hz range, I think that would be considered fast enough to keep those fans functional as opposed to 5-10hz.

Thanks for the post.

Thanks guys for a very interesting subject I've always wanted to hook up a VFD to my late.
What are some of the other advantages can you go from single phase to 3 phase?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

I forgot to ask what is the price for the vfd and also how hard is it to hook it up
?
I built my rotary phase converter how hard is it compared to that.

Thanks guys for a very interesting subject I've always wanted to hook up a VFD to my late.
What are some of the other advantages can you go from single phase to 3 phase?

I forgot to ask what is the price for the vfd and also how hard is it to hook it up
?
I built my rotary phase converter how hard is it compared to that.

the main benefits are :
  • you can run a 3 phase motor on a single phase outet
  • you get variable speed control
  • remote control of power and VS
  • it is compact and quiet compared to a rotary phase converter.

that said, a RPC is simpler than a VFD in both design and installation as there is a simple power in->power out whereas with a VFD you have to do some programming and setting of the unit.

Back