5c collet chuck and drawbar

Thanks for the information Chipper.
I have decided I am going to get me a D1-5 back plate and make a 5c collet chuck to mount on it. That way it will solve the issue you are talking about.
I will make the hand wheel as light as possible. Most likely out of some type of plastic
Making a collet chuck is a worthy ambition (not a minor undertaking). I'm confused by the drawbar - since a collet chuck has an internal gear that turns with the key driven the pinion - pulling the collet in against the taper.

Perhaps you are just going to make an adapter plate/cylinder that mounts on the D1-5 plate - bored for 5C?

The chuck, similar to what Beckerkumm has set up, is a very good way to go (they are simple, straight forward to mount up, very accurate and work great).

On some lathes you can't get the carriage close enough to the headstock to reach short work in the collet. I had that problem on a 13" Clausing Metosa and on my 16" Nardini. I bought a spindle nose collet chuck to overcome the problem. Check to see if you can get the toolpost close enough to the headstock before you commit to a spindle mounted collet closer and drawbar.

Making a collet chuck is a worthy ambition (not a minor undertaking). I'm confused by the drawbar - since a collet chuck has an internal gear that turns with the key driven the pinion - pulling the collet in against the taper.

Perhaps you are just going to make an adapter plate/cylinder that mounts on the D1-5 plate - bored for 5C?

The chuck, similar to what Beckerkumm has set up, is a very good way to go (they are simple, straight forward to mount up, very accurate and work great).
Yes I didn’t mean I was going to make a scroll type 5c chuck. As you said it will just be a cylinder with 5c taper that I will add a drawbar.
I used a lathe years ago that had one of these hand wheels and I liked how easy and fast it worked.

Back