5C Collet Question

epanzella

Active User
Registered
The 1 inch collet in my 5c set has a ridge on one side that prevents a 1 inch ground rod from passing completely thru it. I looks like it was ground from both sides but wasn't dialed in right. I just ordered another one from a reputable company and it also has an eccentric ridge on one side of the bore preventing a 1 inch rod from passing thru. I can force it thru but that introduces .005" runout. The old collet did the exact same thing. Before I call these people and make a fool of myself, this is wrong, right?

5c go up to 1.0625 through holes at least. What is reputable to you? To me its Hardinge.

5c go up to 1.0625 through holes at least. What is reputable to you? To me its Hardinge.
I didn't want to badmouth a company that has been good to me in the past without at least finding out if the collet is bad and giving them an opportunity to make it right. Thanks for posting.

Even my cheap metric 5C collets sourced from AliExpress allow full pass through at their rated diameter. Something is not correct with the collets you have(, or they are for a special purpose).

Special purpose? Perhaps if confounding a user is special ---
I couldn't think of any reason for that, but maybe it's possible. All my 5C collets are clear through.

It sounds like it was ground incorrectly, run out for 5C collet is usually speced. at something like 0.0006" or better, but that is just for the collet not necessarily the chuck. Some 1" rod can be slightly oversized and makes it either difficult to get into the collet, and pass through the back threaded area. My 1" 5C collets, one allows only exactly 1.000" stock through the other (more expensive) one it passes through easily. I assume this has something to do with the tolerances and the way that the threads are machined.

The most basic question first: Since you have two collets that don't work, have you quadruple checked whether the rod you are trying to feed them is the source of the issue?

I just checked my Lyndex 1” 5C collet and it has no ridge like you describe. I didn’t bother to check the other sizes.

Tom

Back