5C Emergency Collets, How Are They Used? What Are They For?

T

Tom Griffin

Forum Guest
Register Today
Now that is a basic question but...

I am looking to pick up a set of 5C collets, been looking on E-bay to get an idea of pricing and availability. Used is OK by me as long as they are still servicable.

When I did work in machine shops we used 5C collets, among others, but I never had call, nor did anyone I knew, to use an emergency collet. (Not that I recollect anyway). What are they for?

If I had to guess I would say they are used when you have an odd size, shape or configuration in your work piece and you machine them to suit the work. Is this the case?

Anywho, The I don't know but willin' to ask,

Whyemier

Yup, you literally answered your own question. To quote:

"They are used when you have an odd size, shape or configuration in your work piece and you machine them to suit the work."

Tom

Emergency collets are available in steel,brass,and nylon. Brass and nylon are for non marring holding of work. However,these 2 materials are slippery,and you need to be careful. Early on,when I was learning,I made an end mill bushing out of brass,and had the end mill pull right out of the bushing even though I had tightened it as hard as I could. The end mill had a normal spiral to it,but sucked right out of the bushing.

I'd prefer to use steel emergency collets unless I just could not for some reason. Certainly I would not use anything but a steel collet to make a step collet.

I have used 5c emg. collets a lot over the years both on lathes and milling machines, since 5c collets have a limited range of movement, a 5c emg. is used. Put pins in the three holes close the collet turn or mill to what ever diameter is needed, for me concentricity and hieght have not been much of a problem, they can be used over and over till there is nothing left then you have to turn loose of some green stamps and order up some more.:cool:

frankie

I make these tapered steels for Hawaiian guitar players:

tapersteel09.jpg

After setting up to cut the taper, I bored a collet to hold them as I machine the cut end. Here's the full process: Taper Steel

For another product ("Jack the Gripper" ) I use two emergency collets I bored to drill or turn parts eccentrically, .015" off center:

jackthegripper14.jpg

I don't put a lot of mileage on the taper holding collet, so I suspect I'll never have to replace it. At this point I've made some 2500 parts using the eccentric ones without noticeable (by me anyway) wear.

tapersteel09.jpg

jackthegripper14.jpg

Back