5c expanding arbors instructions

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
These came in a mixed lot. I don’t “think” I have any use for them. But not knowing how to use them is upsetting my sense of genius.

So can someone explain the purpose of this cap screw and spring in the bottom of these 5c arbors?

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpeg
    IMG_2085.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2082.jpeg
    IMG_2082.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 17
These are expanding collets . About 80 percent of machine parts have holes or bores and locating on Id for second operations and these collets work great to do that type of operation. You turn the soft collets to size needed. I have used them to hold on bores up to 6 inches.
look at you tube to see how the Rovi brand Id collet work. I have been using them for over 60 years. Hardinge makes some pricy ones.

These are expanding collets . About 80 percent of machine parts have holes or bores and locating on Id for second operations and these collets work great to do that type of operation. You turn the soft collets to size needed. I have used them to hold on bores up to 6 inches.
look at you tube to see how the Rovi brand Id collet work. I have been using them for over 60 years. Hardinge makes some pricy ones.
Ok, yeah I understand how to use it. I’m asking specifically about the screw and spring in the non working end. Sometimes I struggle to explain myself. Sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 5
Back