Registered
Registered
This took me two days!

I built a barrel vice (they're expensive at Brownells):

P1000487.resized.JPG

followed by an action wrench to fit the integral Picatinny rail:

P1000488.resized.JPG

P1000490.resized.JPG

After carefully centering the bore with a PTG Grizzly rod, 4 jaw and outboard spider I found the barrel shank and bore to be running fairly concentric:

View attachment P1000492.mp4

Tenon Layout:

P1000493.resized.JPG

Thread profile and final tenon length:

P1000495.resized.JPG

Threading w/ carbide insert:

P1000496.resized.JPG

Finished thread (no lead in thread removal required with Impact action):

P1000498.resized.JPG

Bolt nose recess cut with a carbide insert boring bar:

P1000502.resized.JPG

Cutting the chamber with PTG live pilot finishing reamer (head stock aligned dead center):

P1000504.resized.JPG

Chamber final depth checked w/ Clymer Go-Gauge + 0.003" for barrel make up:

P1000507.resized.JPG

P1000501.resized.JPG

Checking final chamber run out (too much, we'll see):

View attachment P1000505.mp4

Barrel installed (25" from muzzle to breach face based on max velocity vs. barrel length for 142gn SMK test performed by rifleshooter.com):

P1000510.resized.JPG

6.5-Creedmoor-barrel-length-effects-velocity.png

Last edited:
My 6.5 was on a surgeon action with an integral picatinny rail, very similar to yours, except that mine was 6.5X47 Lapua. I'm getting just under 3000 fps using 151 gr Berger VLD bullets. Accuracy International folding stock. 1 in 7 twist.

I hope you enjoy your rifle as much as I do mine!

Very nice. Hope you have the results on target that you are looking for.
Re the barrel vise, do you plan to hold it as in the picture or eventually make a dedicated mount for it.
Your action wrench is awesome.

I bought the Brownells barrel vice and action wrench before I had machining capabilities, I used it to build a small ring Swedish Mauser carbine in 6.5 x 55. There are a lot of deer that do not like that gun. That is the most accurate gun I own. Now that I have machines, I just have to make jaws when I work on something.

The finish on the stock is automotive 2K clearcoat with a satin hardener. First coat brushed on heavy, then wet sanded and the final coat sprayed with an artist airbrush. (It was what I had) These pics are after 15 years of beating thru the woods.

6.5x55-001.jpg

6.5x55-002.jpg

Not sure why the pics came in upside down????

Very nice. Hope you have the results on target that you are looking for.
Re the barrel vise, do you plan to hold it as in the picture or eventually make a dedicated mount for it.
Your action wrench is awesome.

Good point. Good enough for barrel make up but might not be so good for barrel break out on factory rifles. When I get to that point with my 6.5 Howa I will just cut a relief grove in the barrel at the action face if it gives me trouble (that is where all of the make up compression is stored).

Very nice work Bretthl.
I have one of those Barreled receivers from Brownells.
It's a Howa in 6.5 Creedmore.
Any good?

Very nice work Bretthl.
I have one of those Barreled receivers from Brownells.
It's a Howa in 6.5 Creedmore.
Any good?

Yes. Mine also is a barreled action from Brownells. I used it in PRS for two years. Mounted in an Masterpiece Arms BA light chassis. No bedding required due to flat bottom design. The ejector pin has taken a beating though so that needs to be replaced and the lands have moved 0.027" after about 2700 rounds of 140/42 gn.

IMG_1325.resized.JPG

2,700 rounds in a high power rifle is a lot of use, IMHO.
.001" per hundred rounds movement.
I don't know very much about the subject, but it seems like .027" is a bunch.

Dang Dabbler,
That's a scope.
I like the compensator too.
The thumb through stock is great.
What brand is that stock? I had one like that on my M1A. Lost it in the fire along with my Garand from CMP and many others.

Back