6” Chuck decision

I recently purchased a 5 inch PBA Chuck and was very disappointed with the quality. it was at the level one expects from a China product.
Wow really? That sucks. Maybe I will look at Bison then. Haven’t read to many negatives with them.

I’ve been very happy with my 6inch TMX 6jaw. It hasnt been off the lathe in months. I spent around $1300 with backplate. Everything I’ve chucked has indicated under .0005.

I’d go with a cheap 4jaw from PM and spend the money on a 6 jaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m adding my opinion of the 6 jaw chuck, for what it’s worth… I change jaws a lot. twice the number to change and buy. On solid stock, only three of the six are what most often touch the part. On thin tubes they are great for reducing distortion.

contrary To a prior poster, I AM trying to be “argumentative“ literally by interjecting my understanding and what I think I have learned. I think doing that is a good way to clarify and gain understanding. I like being wrong because that means I have a big opportunity to acquire new knowledge. An argument is a discussion based around facts and our understanding. I say all this because I have the highest regard and respect for the knowledgeable contributors on this site. I very much enjoy seeing the various opinions and shared experiences on this site. Thanks!

For me, adjusting an “adjust-true” type chuck is a bit of a pain because I have to start by loosening the attachment bolts, the adjusters are backwards sense for me compared to an independent chuck and every change pretty much needs a counter move opposite. Fortunately we are only “bumping” by a few thou. Since there are strict limitations on the range of movement available with the intention of correcting small imperfection to the chuck and it’s mounting.

If you need to do a lot of second operations work, buy a good 4 jaw.
I bought a 10", 4 jaw D1-6 Bison chuck. I watched for sales. When ajax tool supply had one for $789, I jumped.
I was actually considering a 12" but thought better of it because of the weight. Heck, the 10" is about all I can handle.
Still made in Poland, at least this one is.
I wouldn't mind a 6 jaw Shars.

Did some eBay digging for you, there is a listing for a new PBA Setrite 6" three jaw scroll chuck, this is the same one that I use and they are made in the UK. Make an offer of something like $400 for a new in the box PBA. You will need ot purchase a PBA Setrite D1-4 back plate. The PBA Setrite D1-4 backplate (adapter plate) is 0605021. You will need to check around on pricing, the picture at the Grizzly site is not representative of the actual one. I would call around to small tools or Ajax to check pricing but expect they are around $300.

This is what they list at which is close to 1K:

This is the 6" PBA Setrite on my lathe:
PBA 6 inch Setrite.jpg

Did some eBay digging for you, there is a listing for a new PBA Setrite 6" three jaw scroll chuck, this is the same one that I use and they are made in the UK. Make an offer of something like $400 for a new in the box PBA. You will need ot purchase a PBA Setrite D1-4 back plate. The PBA Setrite D1-4 backplate (adapter plate) is 0605021. You will need to check around on pricing, the picture at the Grizzly site is not representative of the actual one. I would call around to small tools or Ajax to check pricing but expect they are around $300.

This is what they list at which is close to 1K:

This is the 6" PBA Setrite on my lathe:
View attachment 367376
Your lathe controls are just like my 1970's Clausing Colchester 15X50

Back