6 Jaw chuck for 300 dollars with DHL shipping from India

Micke S

Active User
Registered
Would you buy this brand new 6 jaw chuck for 300 USD including DHL shipping from India? This is an offer I've got. What is holding me back is that the company and workmanship is unknown to me, and that payment should be done by T/T money transfer or Western Union.

It may very well be a good find though.

"These chucks are available with 3 jaws and 6 jaws and are referred as AAC-3 and AAC-6 respectively. These are
used where same size of job is to be held repeatedly and accuracy desired is very high. The chuck accuracy can
be adjusted within 0.005 mm with the help of micro-adjustment screws. The repetitive accuracy available with
these type of chucks is within 0.013 mm. These chucks are used for tool room and grinding shop work. One set
of reverse Jaws, Mounting Bolts, Allen Key, Operating Key and Inspection Report is provided with each chuck."

6 jaw chuck.jpg

6 jaw chuck.jpg

Would you buy this brand new 6 jaw chuck for 300 USD including DHL shipping from India? This is an offer I've got. What is holding me back is that the company and workmanship is unknown to me, and that payment should be done by T/T money transfer or Western Union.

It may very well be a good find though.

"These chucks are available with 3 jaws and 6 jaws and are referred as AAC-3 and AAC-6 respectively. These are
used where same size of job is to be held repeatedly and accuracy desired is very high. The chuck accuracy can
be adjusted within 0.005 mm with the help of micro-adjustment screws. The repetitive accuracy available with
these type of chucks is within 0.013 mm. These chucks are used for tool room and grinding shop work. One set
of reverse Jaws, Mounting Bolts, Allen Key, Operating Key and Inspection Report is provided with each chuck."

View attachment 89564

I don't care how good the deal appears, I never do a funds transfer or western union. You won't have any recourse if the deal goes south. If it's a real company then they have other methods to accept payment, a credit card or at least PayPal.
On edit, I just noticed that you are in Sweden, I don't know what consumer protections you have.

Mike

I agree with you, I wont do it unless it is paid by card or PayPal. The company is real for sure, but it may be some form of side-selling that could lead to trouble.

I think money that goes down the drain by Western Union are lost independent of where you are.

The company refused to send Hi Quality photos and use PayPal so case is closed :angry:

$300 for a six jaw 'adjust-true' chuck?? Sounds too good to be true, probably because it is.

I have to be honest, one thing I do not like is the fact that the chucks come with two sets of jaws instead of the reversible type.

At any rate, I think it is a good thing that you steered away from them. Would you care to share the name of the company so that other readers would have a heads up of who or what to look out for?? Not trying to drag anybody through the mud, but we don't need any of our members getting fleeced either.

I found two websites that use the exact same text for the descriptions of the chucks, but neither of them mentions a price or has a 'buy' page. From what I have found so far, neither of them offers the same photo that you posted either. Definitely something fishy with that deal.

There is a place local to me that has 6" and 8" 6 jaws for about $200 and $250 respectively.

I found two websites that use the exact same text for the descriptions of the chucks, but neither of them mentions a price or has a 'buy' page. From what I have found so far, neither of them offers the same photo that you posted either. Definitely something fishy with that deal.

I found the seller via the Chinese eBay-like market, Alibaba.com and negotiated down the price from 375 to 300 USD with air shipping via DHL door to door delivery. I communicated with people at www.csvworkholding.com and www.csvlathechucks.com according to their email signatures.

It may very well be a good company and people from India are not known to be non-trusty. My stomach feeling tells me the company is OK but I can't send money that are not traceable, it is against a simple and strict principle for me. What made me back off was the following minus:

- Their home page(s) were down at the time and one still is.
- They are not a Verified Alibaba market trader.
- Payment only by T/T transfer or WU.
- They refused to mail photos since "items were packed and sealed" How difficult could it be to open a box and take a few pics to be exposed for free on new markets...
- The company is unknown to me and I don't know if the workmanship will be good or at least acceptable or according to the old Royal Enfield Standard, which no one really wants based on quality.
- There are also disadvantages with a 6 jaw chuck. If parts are not perfectly round it will not grip as well as a 3-jaw chuck and it is questionable if all 6 jaws will ever grip unless the work-piece is flexible. A three jaw chuck will get a good grip if the work-piece is unsymmetrical or even if all three jaws ends up at different distances vs. the spindle center line.
- It felt odd to be able to cut the chuck price by 30% without discussion even if we know their cost for labor is very low compared to US and Europe. I doubt it is possible to buy a similar chuck by known distributors for less than about 1 K and this went down from 245 to 170 directly when I suggested a 75 USD reduction on the total sum.

So even if I was fully prepared to buy and test one and throw it if needed, there was to many unknowns to make such a decision. I would have bought it though if I could have paid by PayPal to get some level of protection, and got pictures that indicated the workmanship. Even a high quality picture doesn't tell a lot though. It will only show if a piece is machined or made in a cave with Flintstone tools. Material quality and tolerances will still be totally unknown.

I also want to point out that I know that many companies in India, China and other parts of the world with low living standard for the majority of people, are very qualified and have great and price-worthy products. This applies for a wide segment from machinery, tools, electronics, semiconductor production and many more items.

Last edited:
Back