6 Lbs of HSS tool bits

i always am looking for larger tooling.
whatddya need or want>?
i got lotsa stuff to trade!

As pointed out in #10, what you have is a box of ground hardened steel. Thousand and one uses!
I have quite a few toolbits too large for my lathe. I keep them around to make new tools. Gravers, burnishers (for round toolbits), scrapers, that sorta thing.
Also, a lantern toolpost can accommodate some pretty large toolbits. 1/2" and larger can make excellent form tools.

First off, apologies for dropping off the face of the Earth on this thread. I've been dealing with urgent medical issues with both of my elderly parents - who live 300m away.

Second, my initial post may have given the impression that I didn't know what I have or what to do with them. That is decidedly not true. My first metal working machine is a classic SouthBend 9A - That was more than 10 years ago and I've spent many hours grinding HSS bits and using them in a lantern style tool holder. It was only last year that I switched to a QCTP. I still don't use carbide (brazed or inserts), just haven't had the need for it yet.

I've got plenty of smaller chunks of HSS for tooling, the largest I can use (currently) on my bench mill is 3/8 for the fly cutter.

So I just don't ever see myself using more than a couple of pieces 1/2sq or bigger. (I kept a two large chunks from this pile)

Finally, I didn't really anticipate how I would deal with a handful of people asking for what I've got - including what I might want in trade.

So here goes.
Attached is a picture of the bits on a lunch tray. All have been ground a little or a lot, there are no virgin pieces. In the lower left is a short hunk of 3/4" and two decent lengths of 5/8" all the rest is 1/2".

I think a swap would work best, and I don't want to **** off anyone by not choosing them. Send me a private message with a pic of what you want to swap (or what you are willing to offer) and I'll decide.

I have the SouthBend 9A and aLittle Machine Shop 5550 HiTorque bench mill (Sieg X2.7)

Stuff I'm interested in:
- Work holding for smallish stuff on the mill (edge & toe clamps kind of stuff) OR work holding in general
- 5C collet stuff. I've got 3 sets of collets but no 5C yet! Maybe some of the more useful sizes and or blocks?
- End mills? I've only got 2F and 4F HSS starter sets. My mill is small so nothing bigger than 1/2"
- I've got a classic Dumore tool post grinder .25" shaft, I shattered the only wheel I had for it.
- Anything else cool that I don't know I need.

Thanks for your patience,
DaveIMG_3826.JPG

First off, apologies for dropping off the face of the Earth on this thread. I've been dealing with urgent medical issues with both of my elderly parents - who live 300m away.

No worries. We all have to work to our own priorities, and it sounds like you've got yours set appropriately!
I hope things are as good as they can be with your parents.

Second question, what is the policy of offering things for sale (directly) on this site? I poked around a lot and did not find any clear statement.

Here's a link to the membership levels:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...p-levels-permissions-and-site-features.81683/

since you are already a "Gold" member, this should apply: (bold font is something I applied)

Gold - NO ADS. Remains at $25 per year. Gold members will continue to have access to media gallery and downloads and will have more storage available to them than Silver. Gold members will have permission to post in ALL forums including privileges to sell in the For Sale Forums. Fully featured Chat is available to Gold members. Gold members will not be able to access new features to the site moving forward from this date.

-brino

So for sale and/or swap only in the for sale forum?
I wasn't going to offer this for cash initially. I'll just move it now.
Thanks.

Moved to the THE TRADING POST

Last edited:
Back