618 threading gear box

cross thread

Registered
Registered
I just ran across this video , the guy rambles on about a belt change for the head stock . He makes no mention of the modifications to the machine let alone the threading gear box . Anybody know anything about this machine ?
Mark .
<iframe width="900" height="506" src="
" title="Atlas 618 Lathe Belt Change by Vegas OBie" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do the green link belt type replacements work well? It would be alot easier installing one of them.

Must be an owner mod since the 6" never came with a threading gearbox
Apparently there was an aftermarket gear box available at some point. The 618 io group has some DIY gearbox documents available. These days I'd think an ELS would be the more practical option, but the idea of making a QCGB for it appeals to the just because I can part of me. ;)

I believe back in the 60s some company offered an add-on box for them, but realistically you can cut a wider range of threads
(including metric) with the standard change gears, only downside is they're a bit messy when lubricated.
I run mine pretty dry to minimize the mess factor, but then I don't use the gear train that often (feed by hand mostly)
Zamak has some self-lubricating properties

There was at least one commercial and two DIY QCGB's back in the day. But neither Atlas nor
Clausing ever offered one.

Yes, as I wrote a few days ago, Atlas never apparently offered a QCGB for any of the 6" lathes. There was maybe one commercial venture and one or maybe two magazine articles for building one. No one seems to have any idea as to how many were done or still survive but very few.

Back