7” Logan shaper find - with a bit of a problem

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello All,

Recently picked up a nice little Logan 7” shaper. Very similar looking in many regards to an Atlas or Amanco.

However, I don’t know much about shapers. So I tried an initial cut across a bit of scrap steel, and half way across, the tooling quit cutting across the work. Now the ram continues to move forward and back, but not laterally across the work. I put a bit of pressure on the ram with my hand, and it picked up cutting again and moved across the work.

I haven’t had the time to explore further, or do any serious troubleshooting, but am wondering what is the most likely cause of this little male function, and where would I first look to fix it?

Thanks for anything someone could tell me about this nice little tool.

Glenn

Sounds like possibly a sheared pin on the leadscrew that moves the table? (WAG)

Try to watch a couple of different locations as it is working:

A) where the feed screw attaches through the side of the table, the end opposite the feed mechanism. If the screw passes through the side of the table (box) with a nut on the end, check to see that there is a slight amount of drag on the nut. If the nut is too loose, there is not enough resistance for the feed pawl to work, and the screw just rocks back and forth without actually advancing. This has happened to me before, and often mid-cut.

B) the feed mechanism/ ratchet pawl itself. They can get gummed up or stuck in one position. The pawl should click in and out of the ratchet wheel teeth smoothly and reliably, check to see that is the case. Also have a look at the stroke adjusting linkage itself to make sure the linkage is locked at a given stroke length (on the eccentric). If the linkage isn't tightened down, it might just be sliding around in the eccentric and not operating the feed pawl at all.

Take your time and watch the mechanisms on a slow stroke -- it may become more obvious what isn't happening if you take the time to watch each part of the operation.

-frank

Edit: In point "A" above, I should have said "cross rail" instead of table. That's what the feed screw passes through in order to move the table.

Last edited:
How does it perform when a coarser feed is applied?
Your nut may be worn giving more backlash than ratchet travel.

Try to watch a couple of different locations as it is working:

A) where the feed screw attaches through the side of the table, the end opposite the feed mechanism. If the screw passes through the side of the table (box) with a nut on the end, check to see that there is a slight amount of drag on the nut. If the nut is too loose, there is not enough resistance for the feed pawl to work, and the screw just rocks back and forth without actually advancing. This has happened to me before, and often mid-cut.

B) the feed mechanism/ ratchet pawl itself. They can get gummed up or stuck in one position. The pawl should click in and out of the ratchet wheel teeth smoothly and reliably, check to see that is the case. Also have a look at the stroke adjusting linkage itself to make sure the linkage is locked at a given stroke length (on the eccentric). If the linkage isn't tightened down, it might just be sliding around in the eccentric and not operating the feed pawl at all.

Take your time and watch the mechanisms on a slow stroke -- it may become more obvious what isn't happening if you take the time to watch each part of the operation.

-frank
My Atlas had a combo of exactly what Frank described plus not enough oil on the crosslide itself. If you are wanting a totally tidy dry machine a shaper isn't it. I put a drip pan under mine because if it's dripping in oil everything works and is happy. I need to make and replace the crosslide nut and probably the lead screw but I live by the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and right now it's doing great work. Just used it all day yesterday truing up the cast iron block that is the flute grinding attachment on my Deckel knockoff U2 in preparation of bushing the block to take the .011" slop out. Should have done a before and after pic because old shaper finish looks ground where the original flycutter finish was gruesome especially where there was no bondo.

DID I SAY THAT! apparently I did. I have put foot in mouth before, but nothing quite like this. Male function-ing certainly in question.

Regarding earlier replies to my post, the closest description of the ”male-function “ in the ram movement is Frank’s reply A, above. The side ways cutting action failed mid stream, half way across the work, but the ram continued to work back and forth, with no racheting movement to the side.

I plan on spending some time this weekend actually going over the machine, and will,watch for various scenarios everybody suggested. Also can get some pics. Hopefully just an adjustment.

Thanks,
Glenn

Yeah Glenn, you say you have a 7" shaper, but until we see it?
I should be able to pick up my 7" Rhodes this month.
Can't wait to see yours.

Yeah Glenn, you say you have a 7" shaper, but until we see it?
I should be able to pick up my 7" Rhodes this month.
Can't wait to see yours.
My South Bend does the same because the gear teeth are worn and the pawl doesn't catch consistently. . It does better at slow speeds and large feed increments.

Back