[Noteworthy] 7075 Aluminum

What do you mean bought as a drop?

Basically it's someone else's scrap, it's often refereed to as an off-cut, remnant, or drop. Big supply houses will have rack or bins of it, and small to medium sized manufactures will sell it online if they can. To them, anything is better than the pennies on the dollar they will get from the scrap man.

The only new stuff I have access to locally is just that. I get what I call them & order. They do give me really good prices for my area. I don't usually buy aluminum tho. Most of my stuff is done with mild steel. Even when I decide I'd like to have a piece of aluminum for a project I don't have any on hand so I still use steel. A few years ago there was more used aluminum then you could haul away with a tractor trailer but no one ever bought it & scrap prices were high so he sold it all. I had a small project not long ago & steel would have been to heavy so I had to go buy new stuff & even new they don't carry much. 6061 was my only choice on the shelf.

I'm thankful for the info tho so now I'll know what I'm asking for if the need arises.

I used to be able to buy "drops" and all kinds of other things at Boeing surplus until they closed :bawling: As far as I know there aren't any local places now so I have to buy new material. If I don't need 7075 I buy 6061 because it is cheaper and I don't have any problems with tools loading up using flood coolant.

Back