[How-To] 7x lathe chuck nut mounting tool

VicHobbyGuy

Registered
Registered
Getting the nuts on and off the chuck studs on my 7x lathe has always been 'tricky' for me. So far, I've been able to hold the nut between the index fingers on both hands and thread it on, but if I had bigger or more arthritic fingers it would be difficult. Even with practice, one of the nuts usually slips from my grip and needs retrieving.
Yesterday I found this ingenious 3D printed "lathe chuck nut mounting tool" by Martin8 on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3245166

It works really well for both removing and attaching chuck nuts on my Sieg 7x14. The curved section near the nut locates against the spindle to 'line up' the nut with the stud.

3D printers are getting more common. If you don't have one, you or a family member may know somebody who does. In my area people advertise 3D printing 'services' on Marketplace. This device is easy to print and doesn't take very long, and the material (filament) cost is less than 50 cents.

Thanks, "Martin8" on Thingiverse!

Attachments

• IMG_1144.MOV
    12 MB
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 7x chuck nut holder.JPG
    7x chuck nut holder.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 40
Those flange spindles are more of a pain than I realized.
easier for the factory, less convenient for the end user.

Those flange spindles are more of a pain than I realized.
easier for the factory, less convenient for the end user.
I agree, but I've gotten used to those studs and nuts. It is nice to be able to confidently run the lathe in reverse...something I can't do with my 10" with a threaded spindle. There's an up -or down- side to everything I guess. :)

I made a chuck nut starter out of some scrap aluminum I had and a small magnet glued to the back:

Starter1.JPG

Starter2.JPG

The tool isn't strong enough to fully tighten down the nuts, so it's JUST for getting the nut started. It took longer for the epoxy to cure than to machine the slot. The only downside is that the magnet wants to stick to the headstock a little bit. A smaller magnet probably would reduce that effect. A piece of refrigerator magnet, which is magnetized in a linear Halbach configuration, might be even better. That's for the MKII version :p

I frequently use it. My independent-jaw chuck has a larger diameter throat so it's been very handy when machining larger-diameter stock. When not in use it's stuck to a steel plate (also used to support the Z-axis DRO readout) immediately behind the lathe.

That's a neat idea if you have a 3D printer or access to one.
I don't so use the Snap-On magnetic accessory I bought around 1980
It's designed to spring around wrench body/handle with magnet loosely riveted so lays flat on open or box end wrench up to 19mm/3/4"
Somewhat similar to what 'homebrewed' made but spring stainless steel and not a fixed wrench size

Looks like I don't need this after all. Printed one out and it turns out I must have the knack of getting these nuts on with my finger tips. I found it more fiddly with this tool than without. With the curved section sitting on the spindle, the nut doesn't quite line up well enough to make it easy to get it started on the stud and the gears are meshed very tightly. I suppose my lathe may have a slightly different spindle diameter and/or stud spacing?

Last edited:
Getting the nuts on and off the chuck studs on my 7x lathe has always been 'tricky' for me. So far, I've been able to hold the nut between the index fingers on both hands and thread it on, but if I had bigger or more arthritic fingers it would be difficult. Even with practice, one of the nuts usually slips from my grip and needs retrieving.
Yesterday I found this ingenious 3D printed "lathe chuck nut mounting tool" by Martin8 on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3245166

It works really well for both removing and attaching chuck nuts on my Sieg 7x14. The curved section near the nut locates against the spindle to 'line up' the nut with the stud.

3D printers are getting more common. If you don't have one, you or a family member may know somebody who does. In my area people advertise 3D printing 'services' on Marketplace. This device is easy to print and doesn't take very long, and the material (filament) cost is less than 50 cents.

Thanks, "Martin8" on Thingiverse!
Looks great.
I just my fingers today
But one time I would jump on because my fingers are num from chemo.

Great
Dave

Back