7x12 Mini Lathe CNC conversion

abuqamen.jpg
enygyjad.jpg
3aduna9y.jpgqunune2a.jpg
azyraner.jpg
dynuby8y.jpg3yraduna.jpg
ryvupuge.jpg

I know this is mostly a metalworking forum but just some pics of vcarving done mostly in wood on my bigger gantry router.

Those are great! Thanks for sharing.

Blackhawk,

I installed my spindle index Hall effect sensor today and was very surprised that the mach3 rpm reading was within 1rpm as compared to my handheld Ametek RPM meter. I ran some threading gcode and it seems to do what it is suppose to. I don't have a threading lathe bit so can't cut metal yet.

Jfong,

thanks for the information, do you think you could take a screen shot of your set up? Or maybe tell me your settings?

Thanks

Blackhawk,
I'm going to try to grind a cutter tomorrow and cut a thread. If all goes well, I will film it and the settings I used. I had to goto work so couldn't do it tonight.

http://youtu.be/2HpvWgHT8To

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400433038.663280.jpg

Threading works! I made a 10-24 thread, it was a little tight but the nut did screw in fine. I didn't do a very good job making the cutter at exactly 60 degrees and could of cut the threads a little bit deeper. Not to bad for first time trying to do this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400433038.663280.jpg

24 threads per inch so the pitch is 1/24=.041666. It rounds out on the screen to .042 but put in all 6 digits.

I received my eBay Sandvik TCMT 21.50 inserts today. They are made of cermet. They cut aluminum and steel effortlessly. I thought my valenite carbide inserts cut really well. These cut much better. I got a bunch for just $2 each. Great deal.

Back