8" Bison 4 Jaw Combination Chuck

Nice reports guys. Mine is still in the box. I am still stuck on using the 6J set thru for barrel work when not using the front spider.

I finally cleaned up the Bison 4 jaw combination chuck I purchased awhile ago and mounted it to the back plate. Beautiful piece of equipment. I just got my PM1340GT set up and it is time to see if I can dial in the chuck. I need to get a couple of small keys for the jaws like others have made. Does anybody know if one can buy these anywhere? Without a mill it is hard to make something like this, or perhaps somebody on here would be interested in making a set, for a fair price of course. I'm pretty new to machining, so it is going to be interesting learning all these new things.

Paul

These chucks seem very nice but are prohibitively expensive in Au. Ray C recently reported on a range of 6 jaw chucks made by a company CME and labelled San do. His review was very favorable. On doing a search this company also makes a range of 4 jaw plain back scroll chucks with two piece jaws at a price I can afford.
My plan is to make a D1-4 back plate and convert the chuck body to a set true design. If I align the four set tru adjusting screws with the 4 jaws can any body see any reason why this arrangement would not be comparable with the combination style chuck ( within the scroll accuracy of the cheaper chuck)?
Ron

Sorry about necroposting. I've been researching this chuck and came across this thread.
Can someone tell me what is the best place to buy this chuck? I'm hoping to save some money but not buy from shady fly-by-night operator.

Any of these vendors would be recommended, I have purchased chucks from all three over the past 10 years:

Bison D1-4 Backplate I believe is the 7-878-084F. Gator also has one which is the FLD 200mm series, but price difference is nominal, so I would recommend the Bison. Price on these chucks have gone up quite a bit, but still comparable to a Bison 6J scroll. I would go with the semi-steel as opposed to the more expensive forged steel.

I bought a 6" Bison combo chuck from Logan - I was buying the (threaded) backplate from them anyways, and the price they quoted for the chuck was not much more than anyone else was asking. The 6" version is pretty uncommon though. Shipped directly from the factory.

Thanks!
Since these have both a scroll and individual adjustments, don't they open a lot wider than just a regular scroll chuck or 4 jaw independent?
If so, I should be ok getting a chuck one size smaller, right?

No really a lot wider, and you are limited by hitting the bed. At this spend level I would recommend an 8" for a lathe in the 13-14" swing, you have a larger through hole. You always need to be careful with the scroll and also an independent that you have at least 3-4 teeth engaged, otherwise you can break the teeth. The scroll plates jaw travel on the 8" combination is around 2.5" per jaw, and maybe 2" on the independent. The scroll plates are rectangular so they will interfere with each other when closing the jaws, this limits some of the overall travel of the scroll portion.

Interestingly they now make a combination 3J that I have not seen before.

Review of the 4J combo

Hi,
I have got myself a Hardinge HLV H without any chucks only 5C collets.
Would you recommend a 5" combination chuck as a reasonable substitue for a 3 jaw scroll chuck and a 4 jaw independent chuck?
For doing regurarly round turning above collet size and occasionally turning non round parts (small casting and some eccentric turning)?

I have the 5” 4 jaw combination chuck in my Chinese lathe which has the same work envelope as the hlv-h. It is my most used chuck. By far.

Back