8" Pratt&Whitney metal shaper,

The table of my Steptoe is about 2 to 2&1/2 feet above ground level. I have been contemplating pouring about a 2 foot thick concrete pad for the shaper to sit on. But it would be nice to be able to move it if I decide down the road.

Does the Steptoe weigh over 1,000lbs too? I got a chance to measure my table and it's right at 4'. My shop is so squished I have to have everything on castors so it can be stored out of the way then shuffled up front when needed. I scavenged some great quick stops from where I worked so it's holds the shaper steady.

Last edited:
Most of us locally weld a base to raise up our machines, wide enough to accommodate a pallet jack for easy moving.
I thought really seriously about making all my workstations without castors and just move them with a pallet jack as they come up for cheap on CL a lot. If I ever get more space I think a pallet jack will be on the top of the list. Very safe and handy.

I'm doing a base for my PM945 right now. Will post pictures, I promise!

I have the above-noted 14" P&W shaper. I bought it locally from a mechanic for $100. The base of the clapper box is fractured-off (one bolt only) and will need repair or replacement. But overall, it is in good condition w/o too much wear on the ways. It is DECEPTIVELY HEAVY! I don't have the vise, so it is about 2,000 lb.

Back