8" Pratt&Whitney metal shaper,

Talk about a stout machine, the 9" weighs 1,000lbs! Even though I've never wanted to change the speed of my old Atlas, I do wonder how they decided on the speed this one runs at. And never having had dovetail ways I don't know better. But it does beg the question why you couldn't make an adjustable upper gib? The only problem with mine was some silly person in the past adding a spare shim to one side of the ram. Who knows what that was about. But having an Atlas is far different from having something as obscure as the P&W. I can get canabalized parts all day on eBay, very few other parts show up for other makes of shaper.

Well it went for $734. Not bad. Anybody on this forum win it?
If I was local I would have been very tempted.

If I was within 5 hrs driving distance I would have been the winner - for sure. That's a nice piece of kit. To bad I'm 30 hrs road time away.

You just don't see a lot of shapers around and this is the first Pratt&Whitney for me. I wonder how many there are out there? It's sad to think about how many of these cool old machines went to the scrap yard.

congrats c-bag! nice score!

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression Dabbler, 'twas not me that won it. I'm hoping its somebody on this site though!

Hope its ok, I saved all the pics to the thread, before they disappear from E-bay.

I wish the pics were better, I'm curious what the pulley below the motor does. I like that it is taller, my Steptoe would be great if it was about 6 to 8 inches higher.

s-l1600a.jpg s-l1600b.jpg s-l1600c.jpg s-l1600d.jpg s-l1600e.jpg s-l1600f.jpg s-l1600g.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad you saved all the pics of the P&W here Superburban. Might never see another one again. I too wish the pics were better with more detail.

The stand my Atlas came on is I think an old teletype stand. I like it because it's tall enough I don't have bend over. I'm not tall, 5' 6" and the table is at chest height. Makes it easy to see what's going on and adjust.

Yea, another forum I frequent, we encourage the first poster to copy and add the pics, and any other important info, when they start the thread.

The table of my Steptoe is about 2 to 2&1/2 feet above ground level. I have been contemplating pouring about a 2 foot thick concrete pad for the shaper to sit on. But it would be nice to be able to move it if I decide down the road.

Most of us locally weld a base to raise up our machines, wide enough to accommodate a pallet jack for easy moving.

Back