80 Tooth Idler gear

RWanke

Registered
Registered
Does anyone see me having a problem with taking an 80 tooth screw gear for a 9C and boring it out to use it as an idler gear. This is the only gear I do not have in my setup and EBay folks want $80-$90 for the idler and you can find the screw gears for about $50. I'm cheap I guess. I haven't measured the key depth but assumed I might have to overbore it and make a bushing. ???

Or does someone on here possibly have a spare laying around they might want to part with?

Hi RWanke,
i don't have a spare lying around,
but you certainly can bore the center out to your specifications.
just check if the pressure angle and pitch are compatible with the gearing you already have.
you simply bore the hole to dimension and either broach, file, or cut the keyway- in a shaper or lathe

The idler gears don’t have a key. How hard will it be to drill out the bore of one with a keyway already in it?

my apologies, most transfer gears i have run across are single or double keyed.

it may be best to bore the gear rather than drill it ,
but i suppose if you step drill the bore and finish by reaming, that would be ok too

I have the same issue. I need a 80 and 54 tooth gear and they are looking expensive. I wouldnt mind paying to get them 3d printed bc im sure it will be cheaper? And for the amount of time ill use the gears for metric threading, they should last.

Srry if im hijacking this post. Ive been having issues with answers as well. How do you measure pressure angles?

How do you measure pressure angles?

The measurements of the gear will be different (tooth dept) and if you have the gear in hand you can probably figure it out that way if you
get the specs for the gear in both 20 deg & 14.5 deg.
If it's a metric module gear then as far as I know they are all 20 deg.

I dont know much about gears. So alot of it is new to me.

Back