8x30 Milling Machine Restoration

Ok glad you were able to figure out the problem!

what kind of dolly are you using to move the machine on? Looks like it must be pretty robust.
I used an engine hoist to get the machine around. Very handy to have in the shop.

An engine hoist in a small shop is a necessity in my opinion. I have moved this machine 3 or 4 times along with lifting all the heavy sub components and it's still proven to be the best money I've spent in the shop thus far. It's also what makes doing all this solo even possible.

The teardown was pretty straight forward. I downloaded the Grizzly G0730 manual for a parts and assembly reference. The Grizzly model is identical to this mill. It's since been discontinued however but the G0731 is still available except comes with a factory x-axis power feed.

View attachment 278655
View attachment 278657
All the oil on the machine had turned into a varnish. Nothing slid but the sliding surfaces looked great. I used lots of penetrating oil to get things
to start moving.

View attachment 278658
Thick layer of fuzz dust on the knee bevel gears.

View attachment 278656

View attachment 278659View attachment 278660
Thick chunk of (old grease?) blocking off one of the knee oil feeds. I'm not even sure how this would have gotten in there but good to find.

View attachment 278661
The spindle was seized and the grease on top was clumpy. In fact all the grease in the machine is clumpy. While the upper bearing (visible in picture) was trash the spindle bearings did clean up beautifully. Had I put power to the machine right from the get go they would have been trashed as well. Along with the upper head bearings which also cleaned up great.
Was the spindle nose cap right or left hand thread? I once tried to strip mine, but it was either LH or very very tight

Was the spindle nose cap right or left hand thread? I once tried to strip mine, but it was either LH or very very tight
In my mind I'm not remembering the threads being LH, but I honestly don't recall at this point.

Back