9 x 17 Elgin lathe from the 1940s

chadr

Registered
Registered
I have been looking for my first lathe and have come across a 9 x 17 Elgin lathe from the 1940s for $600. I figured I couldn't lose much money on the deal, but who knows if that will turn out to be true. It looks exactly like this model in the stock picture and is described as follows at http://www.lathes.co.uk/elgin/:

"Circa 1940 Elgin 9-inch swing by 17 inches between centres precision bench lathe on the maker's enclosed, variable-speed underdrive steel pedestal stand. Running in pre-loaded ball races, the spindle nose could be had a ground thread or with the Hardinge-type quick-release taper and could take 5C collets with a though capacity of 1 inch. Spindle speeds ranged from 120 to 3780 rpm (all without needing to alter any belt position) and, being driven by a 2-speed, 3/4-3/8 h.p. 3-phase motor, were directly reversible. Heavily built for so compact a lathe it weighed a not inconsiderable 1375 lbs."

A 5" 3 jaw chuck is included, a drill bit attachment in the tailstock, but not much else from what I believe.

I was going to start with a small 7" x 16" Chinese variety mini lathe but with this small hefty lathe being available I'll take my chances. I can't believe the weight of this lathe so it should be a bit of challenge to move it.

What should I look out for on this lathe? The lathe hasn't been run in a couple years I believe since the current owner purchased it or moved it from a shop with 3 phase power. I've watched a few videos that describe how to inspect a lathe. I suppose some parts may not be available should something be broken beyond repair. I will need to get a 3 phase converter before I run the machine - maybe purchased from the same seller, or may purchase one via Amazon or Ebay.

Thanks for any input.
Chad

img0.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Just know that it is a production lathe, with no lead screw. You will not be able to do power longitudinal feeds and will not be able to do single point threading. Those lathes mostly made small parts in large numbers. Sometimes they are badly worn in one area, sometimes in pretty good shape, depending on usage, maintenance, and careful operation. It would not be my choice for the only lathe in MY shop, too limited in what it can do. But it really depends on what you are going to use it for.

I didn't have any specific plans yet for the lathe but there are times when I wish I had one for making various pieces. Due to the heavy build I figured it would be more stable for working with steel, allowing bigger cuts than a smaller 7 x 16 Chinese lathe in this price range would offer. Would it be easy to add a motor and controls to perform the longitudinal feed at various rates? I could piece something together just for the fun of it maybe. I haven't really looked into this yet obviously as you can tell from my questions :)

Maybe only someone interested in collecting old lathes would purchase this from me in the future? I suppose the lack of capability as is would make it quite low on someone's list.

If the 7 x 16 lathe you had your mind on doesn't have screw cutting ability then nothing is lost. It looks to have a collet closer handwheel on the back end of the spindle which is a plus. Do you have any options for running it under power before you fork out the dollarinos.

Cheers Phil

As Bob said, there are some limitations there, though it does look like an interesting and well made machine. Even assuming that
it's in pretty good shape, the lack of tooling would be a concern to me. $600.00 isn't much to spend on the machine, but
tooling up can be expensive, and unlike a South Bend or a Logan, finding Elgin parts on eBay might be difficult if you need them.
If you do decide to look, you need to determine how much wear there is, whether it's functional and everything works, and of course
what comes with it, and what parts you would need to get it up to speed.

That looks like an interesting Project Lathe to me, but if your goal is to find a first lathe and learn to use it, you might want to find
a machine that's easier to support and comes with more tooling.

Last edited:
Would it be easy to add a motor and controls to perform the longitudinal feed at various rates?
No. It could be done, but it would be a relatively long and fussy labor of love, and why do that when there are lots of general purpose lathes for sale out there at decent prices? Do not restrict yourself into choosing between a mini lathe and an uncommon old production lathe. There are MANY other choices out there, most of which are much more suitable for the wide range of builds and repairs that typically go on in a home shop. I suggest that you search while you learn about what types of machines are available and which ones might meet your needs best, then sit on your wallet until you find a good price on a suitable candidate. Finding experienced mentors to help you vet candidates can save you a lot of money and frustration and help keep you happy in the hobby. Also keep in mind that tooling costs more, often much more than the lathe. Repairing a worn and damaged lathe will be even more expensive and time consuming. Try to find something that is plug and play. Be patient. The most common story in hobby machining is the beautiful lathe with tooling for a killer price that popped up just after a worn out project lathe was purchased.

Thank you for the responses guys. I didn't get an auto reply so I didn't notice until this morning. I'll have to check my settings out.

After investing the time to rent a suitable trailer from uhaul, getting the equipment packed up to move the lathe, driving the hour and a half to get there, etc. I found it was not in the condition I was hoping. The cross slide was not original and did not fit in the grooves of the ways. It was held to the ways with a single bolt. The lack of threading capability and power feed was enough to convince me to keep looking. It was frustrating to eat up a total of ~6 hours of time yesterday related to this lathe but at least I was able to hang out with my dad and take a few hours off work. :) If the lathe had all the original pieces and seemed to fit together really well I was likely going to purchase it just because I do enjoy fixing and working on stuff. The hunt continues...

Take care. Chad

What size lathe are u looking for and whats your budget?

... The cross slide was not original and did not fit in the grooves of the ways. It was held to the ways with a single bolt.

That's how some lathes did it. Loosen one bolt, position the carriage, and tighten. The underside of the slide and the bed
don't directly mate on my little Stark #3, there's an adapter-like plate between 'em, and your Elgin pix show the same bed
shape. With the one bolt loose, both directions of motion to the carriage are available, with it tight, both are locked.

Thank you for the responses guys. I didn't get an auto reply so I didn't notice until this morning. I'll have to check my settings out.

After investing the time to rent a suitable trailer from uhaul, getting the equipment packed up to move the lathe, driving the hour and a half to get there, etc. I found it was not in the condition I was hoping. The cross slide was not original and did not fit in the grooves of the ways. It was held to the ways with a single bolt. The lack of threading capability and power feed was enough to convince me to keep looking. It was frustrating to eat up a total of ~6 hours of time yesterday related to this lathe but at least I was able to hang out with my dad and take a few hours off work. :) If the lathe had all the original pieces and seemed to fit together really well I was likely going to purchase it just because I do enjoy fixing and working on stuff. The hunt continues...

Take care. Chad
Hi Chad, welcome to the HM! Sorry, but you are incorrect about the cross slide being not original. That lathe is like a giant watchmaker lathe. And the cross slide was correct for the lathe. It does not fit in the grooves. It only lays on top of the bed and is held down with a bolt. It’s a nice lathe BUT NOT a good choice for the person looking for a starter/beginner lathe…Dave

Back