932-pdf Quill Downfeed?

JR49

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
When I move the quill down, like if I'm drilling a hole, as the drill bit touches the work, I can feel a very noticeable "slop" or "backlash" in the downfeed mechanism. (That was a bad explanation, I'll try again.) Using the large downfeed handles, when the tool hits the work, I have to pull the handle a little more (maybe 2-3 degrees ?) before I feel that I'm putting down pressure on the work. Slop? Backlash? Is this normal? Mill is new. Thanks, JR49

That sounds pretty normal. Consider that the quill is falling by gravity and is actually being held up by the rack & pinion. Once the tool touches the work, the quill can no longer fall. So there is a small amount of clearance in the rack & pinion, that is what you are feeling at the transition. The only way around this is to bias the quill up with a counterweight or spring so that the rack & pinion actually has to force the quill down. The return spring acts on the pinion shaft and not directly on the quill, so it is of no help in that regard.

Try setting the quill lock with a small amount of drag on it so that you are actually having to push the quill down. I use this trick when I have breakthrough problems when drilling.

That sounds pretty normal.

Wow, Jim, thanks for the quick response! Sorry I waited so long to thank you, but I was waiting for some of the (I would guess at least 50) forum members who actually own the 932m PDF, to share their experience. Part of why I chose this mill is because so many members had one and, having never owned a mill, I felt confident that I could get help here with simple newbee questions. The lack of response even made me go back and re-read a few of my more recent posts to see if I said anything offensive to anyone. But thats OK ,because, I'm sure your answer, Jim is (as always) spot on. I'm confident that your valuable expertise goes far beyond the machines you actually have in your shop. I guess if (when) any other questions come up, I'll save time and refer them to Matt @ Q.M. His great customer service is also what swayed my choice, oh well, it is what it is, thanks again Jim, happy machining, JR49
PS, sorry for the rant

It's my pleasure to help out. It could be that the other owners had no better answer than mine so just did not respond. I probably spend a lot more time at the computer than most, so many times I am the first to answer questions that I think I can help with.:)

Back