9C for beginner.

First challenge is that it doesn’t have a large industrial sector like Chicago or Detroit.
Second is that to get to a large to a large industrial city requires $200 in ferry tickets and minimum of four hours of travel time to get to and from the edge of that city. That’s not including travel time once you get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First challenge is that it doesn’t have a large industrial sector like Chicago or Detroit.
Second is that to get to a large to a large industrial city requires $200 in ferry tickets and minimum of four hours of travel time to get to and from the edge of that city. That’s not including travel time once you get there.

But it's a very beautiful place :grin:

But it's a very beautiful place :grin:

It’s all about lifestyle man :D
Seriously though. It is a stunning place to live if one can accept certain limitations.

Elk Rapids is a beautiful place too, also 4 hours from civilization though....
Ok, 2.5 if you count Grand Rapids ;)

So even though it's in Michigan, Detroit might as well be in another state. Originally being from the SF Bay area I'm not convinced you have to be that far away to have a good lifestyle and beautiful scenery. I'm headed back soon so will get to see for myself.

Cheers,

John

Why is this, are they holding you people hostage?

I'm sure many would say so.... ;)

It's the ferries, fondly known as "the boats" to get on and off. It's a massive chunk of rock in the ocean with lots of real estate, but no land link to the mainland thirty miles away. The ferry system, although somewhat costly, is superb though compared to the old days when we moved here from the North. It was the holiday weekend in July, we were coming down with a loaded UHaul and trailer, and we made it to the mainland terminal at around noon. There was an 8-hour wait to board the next vessel. Yup, eight hours. Then two hours on the crossing and an hour into the city. Those days were bad.

Now they run pretty much every hour although on a few runs you need to reserve in order to get a spot. The vessels are some of the largest in the world, but we have a lot of traffic to and from with freight. You get used to it -- after a while you just don't leave without a really good reason... :)

-frank

When we travel off-island we mostly take our motorcycle as we get to load at the front of the cars and we never have to wait.

But obviously that’s not going to work to buy a lathe.

I will have to get back over to Victoria some day. I've been to Vancouver a few times for work (Ok, not really work - just supervising the people doing the work I normally do stateside ;)).

Last time I was in Victoria was back in school days with a YMCA trip. We sailed on and off and were trying to beat a storm heading back to the San Juan's. Weather forecasts were in the newspapers in those days and we didn't beat the storm....

When the main blew out and we were still making 8 knots with just a storm jib, and it was only myself and the skipper topsides was when I discovered how much I love sailing:grin:.

Cheers,

John

Sweet! Was that the one on UsedVic? Seemed to have a nice smattering of tooling to come with it as well.
Have fun!

-frank

Back