A 5th function of a caliper?

The mic seemed to demonstrate the principle most clearly in all languages.
Tradesmen would quickly recognize that there are lots of other ways to measure the length of the caliper.

Here are a few to get us started.

Height gauge.
Slips and a dti.
Edgefinder and mill dro.
Dti and lathe dro.
11" mic and 1" slip lol.

Tradesmen would quickly recognize that there are lots of other ways to measure the length of the caliper.
To put some of the above comments into a helpful context, I would say the relevant point is that a site catering to "hobby machinists" is not likely to have "tradesman". (At least to me, tradesman implies professional machinists.) I could name another site that might qualify, but I doubt your reception would be any warmer. If you are trying to build a youtube channel, you might consider re-editing your video to include some of those other ways, as I would guess many of those viewers who might be interested are also less than skilled.

Last edited:
To put some of the above comments into a helpful context, I would say the relevant point is that a site catering to "hobby machinists" is not likely to have "tradesman". (At least to me, tradesman implies professional machinists.) I could name another site that might qualify, but I doubt your reception would be any warmer. If you are trying to build a youtube channel, you might consider re-editing your video to include some of those other ways, as I would guess many of those viewers who might be interested are also less than skilled.
It's give and take mate. Someone tries to take the p***ss & I respond accordingly.

Someone tries to take the p***ss & I respond accordingly.
I don't know if you are referring to my comment, if so sorry it came across that way it was ment in a lighthearted way.

Thank you for the additional ways to measure the length of your calipers. I did spend a decent amount of time trying to figure out how I could do so with what I have available. I would not consider myself a "tradesman" I've been a hobbyist for about ten years. When I started I had virtually none of the "extra" stuff. I've been adding equipment, tools, scrap stock etc. at no small expense. What I have on hand covers a wide range with lots of holes in it.

My work and machines are on the small side and it just wouldn't make sense for me to purchase a mic large enough to measure my caliper(s)

I have acquired a (small 10x16 inch?) cast-iron scraped surface plate. I have no idea what it's flatness is but it's good enough for what I currently make. I'd love to own a height gauge, but again it would likely not get enough use to justify the cost. If I saw one for a steal at a sale in decent condition I'd probably buy it.

My mill does have a DRO and I had not (until your reply) considered that it could also be used for metrology. I guess you could do that with out the DRO so that method is probably the most viable for folks like me.

"slips and a dti" - please elaborate, I have no idea with slips are - I'm guessing gauge blocks of some sort?

-D

I don't know if you are referring to my comment, if so sorry it came across that way it was ment in a lighthearted way.

Thank you for the additional ways to measure the length of your calipers. I did spend a decent amount of time trying to figure out how I could do so with what I have available. I would not consider myself a "tradesman" I've been a hobbyist for about ten years. When I started I had virtually none of the "extra" stuff. I've been adding equipment, tools, scrap stock etc. at no small expense. What I have on hand covers a wide range with lots of holes in it.

My work and machines are on the small side and it just wouldn't make sense for me to purchase a mic large enough to measure my caliper(s)

I have acquired a (small 10x16 inch?) cast-iron scraped surface plate. I have no idea what it's flatness is but it's good enough for what I currently make. I'd love to own a height gauge, but again it would likely not get enough use to justify the cost. If I saw one for a steal at a sale in decent condition I'd probably buy it.

My mill does have a DRO and I had not (until your reply) considered that it could also be used for metrology. I guess you could do that with out the DRO so that method is probably the most viable for folks like me.

"slips and a dti" - please elaborate, I have no idea with slips are - I'm guessing gauge blocks of some sort?

-D
No problem, just workshop banter.
Gauge blocks are often called slip gauges in the UK, or slips for short.
The video was a lighthearted response to all the videos on " how to use a caliper " & " the secret 4th function of a caliper "

No problem, just workshop banter.
Gauge blocks are often called slip gauges in the UK, or slips for short.
The video was a lighthearted response to all the videos on " how to use a caliper " & " the secret 4th function of a caliper "
Well I did notice that you were using calipers to measure what appears to be a sink.
My dad was a plumber, he never used calipers.

Back